Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lubrication in toroidal engines

1. Aug 11, 2009 #1
    how do toroidal engines get lubricated?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Chhitiz.
    I've never heard the term 'toroidal engine'. Are you perhaps referring to a rotary, such as Mazda uses?

4. Aug 12, 2009 #3

RonL

Gold Member

This might be a place to start,

http://www.roundengine.com/

5. Aug 12, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

That's quite an intriguing device. Thanks for the link, Ron.
    I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the operation of it, and don't have time to delve too deeply into it right now, but I'll continue to check it out later.

6. Aug 12, 2009 #5

S_Happens

Gold Member

Maybe it gets lubricated exactly like it runs. By hopes, dreams, and expected results (ok, maybe compressed air in a few cases). Maybe I've missed out, but I haven't seen anything about any toroidal engine actually doing any combustion. Like I said, I may have just missed it, but if you have any information dealing with functional setups, please post it.

Sorry to detract from your post, it is just annoying to see another toroidal engine that (seemingly) has nothing but expectations and a CAD drawing.

7. Aug 13, 2009 #6

RonL

Gold Member

If you look in, design, and then, research, you can see a prototype and there are six tabs to click on that gives a brief explanation of the basic operation.
    Lubrication would seem to be akin to a two cycle type, but that is just my guess.

The flat plate compression disc, looks to be a weak point for high compression applications, but as I stated to Danger, this is a place to start becoming aware of toroidal type design.

A design in my mind involves free piston technology, where compression takes place between the pistons rotating inside a large flywheel, inertial energy of the pistons is transfered into motion of the massive flywheel. To try and describe it would result in more infraction points I'm afraid.:frown:

8. Aug 13, 2009 #7

Danger

Gold Member

You mean a pre-mix? That would make sense. What I wonder about most is how the timing disk is sealed.

9. Aug 13, 2009 #8

RonL

Gold Member

Good point, and it seems that as pressure builds against the timing disk, wear on the backside would be high.
    Also lubrication and sealing around all the ports looks to be a chore.
    I see that large main disk and alternator designs flash into my head.:smile:

Overall I think it looks good, I'll search a little and see if I can find anything new.

P.S. Danger, they are in Canada, Isn't that your neck of the woods ?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  10. Aug 13, 2009 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Bloody hell! I never saw that part of the link until I just went back after that comment. They're within spitting distance of me. Maybe I should just drop in one of these days and ask to see a working model in operation. That could clear up a lot of questions. I'm going to be very busy for the next wee while, though. Tomorrow is W's 59th birthday, and the last one that I'll be able to celebrate with her now that she's moving up north at the end of the month. Also, I'm having extreme renovations done to my house, and there are a few other things on my plate. If they'll let me in, though, when I have the opportunity, I'll check it out. Thank you for pointing that out.

11. Aug 14, 2009 #10
    you mean like free pistons inside the flywheel and not outside?
    and please i still don't get how that thing is getting lubricated.

12. Aug 14, 2009 #11
    you mean like free pistons inside the flywheel and not outside?
    and please i still don't get how that thing is getting lubricated.

13. Aug 14, 2009 #12

RonL

Gold Member

I'm not sure what you need for an answer on lubrication, but there are many possible options, any of which will depend on how the design moves and what parts interact, and what speed, pressures and temperatures are involved.

Oil mixed with liquid fuel, or misting in vapor fuel, would be my guess for most designs.

Yes to the question about the pistons inside the flywheel.

14. Aug 14, 2009 #13
    how does the cylinder wall get surfaced with lubricants? and how does the lubricant get in and out of the system? it's closed,right, not like a reciprocating engine, which is open at one end.

15. Aug 14, 2009 #14

Danger

Gold Member

It isn't closed any more than a reciprocating engine, Chhitiz. Those circles on the bottom surface are intake and exhaust holes that appear to be covered and uncovered by the pistons which act as valves.
    What Ron is talking about regarding lubrication is something along the line of either a 2-stroke gas engine in which oil is mixed with the gas in the tank, or a pneumatic tool such as an impact wrench which has oil injected into the airflow.

16. Aug 14, 2009 #15

minger

Science Advisor

Just seen this thread and told me coworker about it. Nearly simultaneously we both said, "How do they seal the disk?" That seems to be weak point, in an otherwise cool looking design.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I see any benefit in using it, nor do they show a working prototype. Either way, I'd be interested in seeing it actually run.

17. Aug 14, 2009 #16
    then how does the oil get out? with the exhaust? is it as effective as in a reciprocating engine?

18. Aug 14, 2009 #17

Danger

Gold Member

I can't speak to the efficiency; there are too many variables. The oil is indeed expelled with the exhaust if it is introduced in the possible ways that Ron mentioned. Think of how a chainsaw or a small dirtbike operates. The exhaust is blue because the oil is burned with the fuel, after having done its lubrication duty.

19. Aug 14, 2009 #18

RonL

Gold Member

Some of the silicone based lubricants can fill the micro voids of the metal surfaces and reside in these pores for a long time, some metals can be impregnated with graphite or other compounds and require almost no lubrication, all is based on design.

Go back in time and you find that some machines and engines had live people that mopped on, or squirted oil on moving parts, based on a time cycle. One of my dad's first jobs was an oiler on a large dragline in the 1930's.

If I had a solid reason to build a toroidal engine any time soon, I would likely get hung up on which of the many possible ways to lubricate it. Now to get creative why not consider using air to keep the metals or whatever from making contact. (a little hint, think of the air hockey tables, with a little more pressure.) Getting air to free pistons gets a little trickey.

I think the surface of mechanical engineering has only been scratched a little.

20. Aug 15, 2009 #19
    you said you had a design in mind. why aren't you building one?

21. Aug 15, 2009 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Hi is, but he doesn't want to release any details until he's assured of world domination.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook