Luminol and synthesis (mechanism of the reaction)

In summary, the reaction involves a lone pair of electrons on the hydrazine attacking the carboxylic carbon on the other molecule. The proton transfer then leads to the formation of an amide bond.
~christina~
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Luminol and synthesis (mechanism of the reaction)

In lab I synthesized luminol and I'm trying to figure out the mechanism of the reaction.

3-nitrophthalic acid + hydrazine => 5-nitrophthalhydrazide + Na2SO4=> Luminol

http://spot.pcc.edu/~gbackes/ORGANIC/CH%20243/Synthesis.of.Luminol.htm

I know that the reaction is a condensation reaction in the first step but I am not sure how the reaction happens. (do the 2 sides of the molecule attack the hydrazine and then water falls off or does something else happen?)

I looked up the reaction online but the mechanism is not shown. The just say "condensation reaction" and I do notice that the water is missing and the 2 molecules end up joined but as to

who attacks who and then how does the water leave??

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Roughly put,
1) Lone pair on hydrazine attacks carboxylic carbon
2) Proton transfers from hydrazine to carboxylic -OH
3) Condensation: one water molecule (i.e., protonated hydroxyl) removed (& formation of amide bond)
4) Repeat steps 1-3 for the other carboxylic acid group, with the remaining -NH2 group on hydrazine

Last edited:
bomba923 said:
Roughly put,
1) Lone pair on hydrazine attacks carboxylic carbon
2) Proton transfers from hydrazine to carboxylic -OH
3) Condensation: one water molecule (i.e., protonated hydroxyl) removed (& formation of amide bond)
4) Repeat steps 1-3 for the other carboxylic acid group, with the remaining -NH2 group on hydrazine

Does the reaction happen with both sides at the same time? (both N's of the hydrazine?)

I doubt it,
though it is possible for some statistically minute quantity of 3-nitrophthalic acid to react exactly as such

bomba923 said:
I doubt it,
though it is possible for some statistically minute quantity of 3-nitrophthalic acid to react exactly as such

Oh, so would that other nitrogen just hang there then? until it reacted that is.

Most likely :)

bomba923 said:
Most likely :)

Thank you for your assistance with my question. :smile:

1. What is luminol and how does it work?

Luminol is a chemical compound that is used in forensic investigations to detect the presence of blood at crime scenes. It works by reacting with the iron in hemoglobin, the protein found in red blood cells, to produce a blue-green glow.

2. What is the chemical formula for luminol?

The chemical formula for luminol is C8H7N3O2.

3. How is luminol synthesized?

Luminol is synthesized by reacting 3-nitrophthalic acid with hydrazine and sodium hydroxide. The resulting product is then oxidized with sodium hypochlorite to form luminol.

4. What is the mechanism of the reaction between luminol and blood?

The mechanism of the reaction between luminol and blood involves the oxidation of luminol by the iron in hemoglobin. This forms an unstable intermediate which then releases energy in the form of light, resulting in the characteristic glow.

5. What factors can affect the luminol reaction?

The luminol reaction can be affected by pH, temperature, and the presence of certain substances such as bleach or copper. Higher pH levels and higher temperatures can enhance the reaction, while the presence of substances that can act as oxidizing agents can interfere with the reaction.