Luminol and synthesis (mechanism of the reaction)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reaction Synthesis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 39K views
~christina~
Gold Member
Messages
714
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Luminol and synthesis (mechanism of the reaction)

In lab I synthesized luminol and I'm trying to figure out the mechanism of the reaction.

3-nitrophthalic acid + hydrazine => 5-nitrophthalhydrazide + Na2SO4=> Luminol

http://spot.pcc.edu/~gbackes/ORGANIC/CH%20243/Synthesis.of.Luminol.htm

I know that the reaction is a condensation reaction in the first step but I am not sure how the reaction happens. (do the 2 sides of the molecule attack the hydrazine and then water falls off or does something else happen?)

I looked up the reaction online but the mechanism is not shown. The just say "condensation reaction" and I do notice that the water is missing and the 2 molecules end up joined but as to

who attacks who and then how does the water leave??

Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Roughly put,
1) Lone pair on hydrazine attacks carboxylic carbon
2) Proton transfers from hydrazine to carboxylic -OH
3) Condensation: one water molecule (i.e., protonated hydroxyl) removed (& formation of amide bond)
4) Repeat steps 1-3 for the other carboxylic acid group, with the remaining -NH2 group on hydrazine
 
Last edited:
bomba923 said:
Roughly put,
1) Lone pair on hydrazine attacks carboxylic carbon
2) Proton transfers from hydrazine to carboxylic -OH
3) Condensation: one water molecule (i.e., protonated hydroxyl) removed (& formation of amide bond)
4) Repeat steps 1-3 for the other carboxylic acid group, with the remaining -NH2 group on hydrazine

Does the reaction happen with both sides at the same time? (both N's of the hydrazine?)
 
I doubt it,
though it is possible for some statistically minute quantity of 3-nitrophthalic acid to react exactly as such
 
bomba923 said:
I doubt it,
though it is possible for some statistically minute quantity of 3-nitrophthalic acid to react exactly as such

Oh, so would that other nitrogen just hang there then? until it reacted that is.
 
bomba923 said:
Most likely :)

Thank you for your assistance with my question. :smile: