1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Luminol and synthesis (mechanism of the reaction)

1. May 7, 2008 #1

~christina~

Gold Member

[SOLVED] Luminol and synthesis (mechanism of the reaction)

In lab I synthesized luminol and I'm trying to figure out the mechanism of the reaction.

3-nitrophthalic acid + hydrazine => 5-nitrophthalhydrazide + Na2SO4=> Luminol

http://spot.pcc.edu/~gbackes/ORGANIC/CH 243/Synthesis.of.Luminol.htm

I know that the reaction is a condensation reaction in the first step but I am not sure how the reaction happens. (do the 2 sides of the molecule attack the hydrazine and then water falls off or does something else happen?)

I looked up the reaction online but the mechanism is not shown. The just say "condensation reaction" and I do notice that the water is missing and the 2 molecules end up joined but as to

who attacks who and then how does the water leave??

Thanks

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2
    Roughly put,
    1) Lone pair on hydrazine attacks carboxylic carbon
    2) Proton transfers from hydrazine to carboxylic -OH
    3) Condensation: one water molecule (i.e., protonated hydroxyl) removed (& formation of amide bond)
    4) Repeat steps 1-3 for the other carboxylic acid group, with the remaining -NH2 group on hydrazine

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  4. May 7, 2008 #3

~christina~

Gold Member

Does the reaction happen with both sides at the same time? (both N's of the hydrazine?)

5. May 7, 2008 #4
    I doubt it,
    though it is possible for some statistically minute quantity of 3-nitrophthalic acid to react exactly as such

6. May 8, 2008 #5

~christina~

Gold Member

Oh, so would that other nitrogen just hang there then? untill it reacted that is.

7. May 8, 2008 #6
    Most likely :)

8. May 8, 2008 #7

~christina~

Gold Member

Thank you for your assistance with my question. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?