Luna ring (futuristic energy project?)

In summary: Once it's done the applications of deploying it on Earth would far outweigh the applications of boosting it to the moon IMO, especially considering the cost to launch 1kg to the moon is measured in thousands-tens of thousands, I severely doubt that we could pack a factory capable of extending itself as well as building robots and solar panels for less than the entire worth of most first world... nations.
pessimist
Some Japanese tech company called shimizu is parading this new idea of solar energy generation. The Luna Ring it is called.

Links
http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10003698.html"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUL_rDeKIeU"

I think there are some serious issues with said idea WRT logistics and physics wise. Comments appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heh, the costs involved with a project like that are astronomical. Unless they developed some sort of lunar mining and refining facility and mined most of the required materials directly from the moon, the costs of launching said materiels should make that project near impossible.

Drakkith said:
Heh, the costs involved with a project like that are astronomical. Unless they developed some sort of lunar mining and refining facility and mined most of the required materials directly from the moon, the costs of launching said materiels should make that project near impossible.

It's already 2011. By Space Race standards, we should already have a permanent human population on the Moon and perhaps several bases on Mars to boot. Of course, the reality is that human space exploration is essentially dead compared to 40-50 years ago, so we probably shouldn't be expecting even a Moon base--let alone the Luna ring--by 2030.

what about energy transmission? they aim to use microwave radiation, but isn't that kind of transfer prone to high loss?
there is also the problem of asteroids and space rock bombardment.

Solar panels are made of silicon which is plentiful on the moon's surface. Oxygen is also plentiful. Hydrogen is a problem. The gravity well on the moon is much shallower than here on the earth, but it's still bothersome. The right idea is to maglev the surface material over to the libration point L5, refine it there for useful minerals and use the dross for shelter from radiation and smaller projectiles.

Last edited:
it will heat the earth

why will it heat the earth? I do not think solar panels would have a high reflection ratio, but of-course i may be wrong.

you're beaming energy from the moon to the earth. that is more radiation reaching the surface, and eventually dissipated as heat energy. now, debating the merits of this is a forbidden topic here, but it is an obvious outcome.

oh yes, i did not consider that.

I don't understand the moon part of this idea? Obviously space travel is horrendously expensive in resources and labour, shipping the required industry to the moon would probably have to involve most of the richest industrial zones on Earth.

But back to the "why moon" thing, if they want to put solar panels in space that can beam down energy why not just launch satellites with huge panels and masers?

That's assuming that you actually wanted to, and it was economically viable put power stations in space.

ryan_m_b said:
I don't understand the moon part of this idea? Obviously space travel is horrendously expensive in resources and labour, shipping the required industry to the moon would probably have to involve most of the richest industrial zones on Earth.

But back to the "why moon" thing, if they want to put solar panels in space that can beam down energy why not just launch satellites with huge panels and masers?

That's assuming that you actually wanted to, and it was economically viable put power stations in space.
At least get the raw materials from the moon. Lifting them from the Earth requires too much fuel.

Jimmy Snyder said:
At least get the raw materials from the moon. Lifting them from the Earth requires too much fuel.

True but the cost of R&D for an industrial complex capable of mining, refining, manufacturing and maintaining a megascale solar power farm not only on the moon but also capable of being shipped piecemeal from Earth is a horrendous undertaking!

Might as well just build solar panels here on Earth.

ryan_m_b said:
True but the cost of R&D for an industrial complex capable of mining, refining, manufacturing and maintaining a megascale solar power farm not only on the moon but also capable of being shipped piecemeal from Earth is a horrendous undertaking!

Might as well just build solar panels here on Earth.
Send as little as possible from the Earth because of the shipping and handling costs. There is plenty of raw material on the moon for a solar power farm.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Send as little as possible from the Earth because of the shipping and handling costs. There is plenty of raw material on the moon for a solar power farm.

Again though the R&D of a system capable of prospecting, mining, refining resources and then then manufacturing, deploying and maintaining is huge. Once it's done the applications of deploying it on Earth would far outweigh the applications of boosting it to the moon IMO, especially considering the cost to launch 1kg to the moon is measured in thousands-tens of thousands, I severely doubt that we could pack a factory capable of extending itself as well as building robots and solar panels for less than the entire worth of most first world countries.

And if we could send up some highly durable, highly capable, hi-tech factory for an affordable amount why would we not just send a few of them by car to deserts instead? That would be many orders of magnitude cheaper more than cancelling out any benefits of the moon.

i think ryan has a point about the R&D. and I'm not even sure the need for a project like this is that great at the moment. but let technology advance another few decades and it may become a lot more feasible.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to put twice as many solar panels on earth?

Proton Soup said:
i think ryan has a point about the R&D. and I'm not even sure the need for a project like this is that great at the moment. but let technology advance another few decades and it may become a lot more feasible.

Topher925 said:
Wouldn't it be cheaper just to put twice as many solar panels on earth?

Even if we hypothesis some fantastic breakthroughs in robotics and fab lab technology in the future allowing us to ship a factory seed that can extend pretty much indefinitely why would we send it to the moon? Might as well send a convoy of trucks to places like the Sahara, Gobi, Atacama, Spain, the Antarctic and just cover them in solar panels. People are likely to object but I'd rather cover some of the most inhospitable places on Earth with 1000s of km of solar panels than ring the Moon, the latter's a huge eye sore

1. What is the Luna ring?

The Luna ring is a proposed futuristic energy project that aims to supply renewable energy to the Earth by using solar panels on the moon to capture and transmit energy back to Earth.

2. How does the Luna ring work?

The Luna ring works by using solar panels on the moon to capture solar energy. This energy is then converted into microwaves and transmitted to receiving stations on Earth. The microwaves are then converted back into electricity and distributed to homes and businesses.

3. What are the benefits of the Luna ring?

The Luna ring has several potential benefits, including providing a renewable and sustainable source of energy, reducing the reliance on fossil fuels, and reducing carbon emissions. It also has the potential to provide energy to remote or underdeveloped areas that may not have access to traditional energy sources.

4. What are the potential challenges of the Luna ring?

Some potential challenges of the Luna ring include the high cost of building and maintaining the infrastructure, potential environmental impacts on the moon, and the need for international cooperation and coordination for such a large-scale project. Additionally, there may be concerns about the safety and reliability of transmitting energy through microwaves.

5. Is the Luna ring a feasible project?

The feasibility of the Luna ring is still being studied and debated. While the technology to capture and transmit solar energy already exists, there are still many challenges that need to be addressed and overcome before the project can become a reality. Further research and development are needed to determine the viability and potential impacts of the Luna ring.