M-edges in TR-XAFS in Lanthanides

• A
  • Thread starter HAYAO
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy and specifically Time-Resolved XANES to observe changes in electronic structure in Lanthanides. The question is raised as to why M5 edges are not typically used for these observations, and the answer is explained to be due to practical difficulties in obtaining the necessary photon energy and sensitivity to the surface only. Additionally, the use of total fluorescence yield is mentioned as a suitable method for dilute samples. The conversation ends with a clear understanding of the reasons behind using L edges over M edges for these types of observations.
HAYAO
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello, I am new to X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy, and I have a question about XAFS, more specifically, Time-Resolved XANES.

Question: I don't understand why M5 edges are usually not used for Lanthanides.
Here's some background to why I came up with this question (please read if you have some time, otherwise skip because it's long):

Lanthanides have inner 4f orbitals that are shielded by outer 5d, 6s, and 6p orbitals. Thus, 4f orbitals do not involve in bonding, and 4f-4f transitions (which is parity forbidden) should not change the structure relative to the ground state. Recently, I read this article (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja407924m), which is the first direct observation of change in electronic structure between ground state and 4f-4f excited state using Time-Resolved XANES. They used L3-edge which is mainly 2p → 5d transition of Eu(IIII) ion. Because theoretically, 4f-4f transition involves mixing of 5d orbitals that makes 4f-4f transition partially allowed, the difference of L3-edge XANES between ground and 4f-excited state would be slightly different. They also argue that pre-edge (which is 2p → 4f electric dipole forbidden) is slightly different.

Now, I think understand why they used L3-edge and not L2, L1, nor K1. I interpreted this as because K1 edge and L1 edge is electron dipole-forbidden for transitions to 5d orbitals, and L3 has twice the absorption strength because of degeneracy compared to L2 edge.

That made me wonder. If you want to observe electronic structural changes in 4f orbitals, then why not use M5 edge (5p J = 5/2) or at least M4 edge? 5p → 4f should be electric dipole allowed, That should allow direct observation of 4f orbital.

The reason is mostly practical. The photon energy for Lanthanide L edges is very easy and convenient to get from a Synchrotron, and the absorption is low enough to be used in transmission mode.
The M edges are much much lower in energy. You need to work in ultra-high vacuum, and you will be sensitive to the surface only. Also, you will have to measure the absorption via the photo-electrons, as the beam will be completely absorbed by the sample (unless it is extremely thin).

Despite these technical difficulties, M-edge XANES is sometimes used, especially for magnetic spectroscopy (XMCD)

M Quack said:
The reason is mostly practical. The photon energy for Lanthanide L edges is very easy and convenient to get from a Synchrotron, and the absorption is low enough to be used in transmission mode.
The M edges are much much lower in energy. You need to work in ultra-high vacuum, and you will be sensitive to the surface only. Also, you will have to measure the absorption via the photo-electrons, as the beam will be completely absorbed by the sample (unless it is extremely thin).

Despite these technical difficulties, M-edge XANES is sometimes used, especially for magnetic spectroscopy (XMCD)
Thank you for the explanation.

Well in the paper I described above, they used total fluorescence yield because they were working on a liquid sample, below 1 mmol/L (I wouldn't necessarily call this very dilute). I thought that total fluorescence yield method is suitable for dilute samples, not transmission mode because it's hard to detect the difference.

Why are M edges more easily absorbed by the sample than L edges?

Total fluorescence yield works well for concentrated and dilute samples. For dilute samples, other methods do not work so well.

Look at the photon energies for the M edges compared to L and K edges. In general, the higher the photon energy, the smaller the absorption and the higher the penetration power.

I think I have it clear now! Thank you very much!

1. What are M-edges in TR-XAFS in Lanthanides?

M-edges refer to the absorption edges of the M-shell electrons in lanthanide elements. These edges are typically seen in X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS) and are useful for studying the electronic structure and bonding of lanthanide compounds.

2. How are M-edges observed in TR-XAFS?

M-edges can be observed using time-resolved X-ray absorption fine structure (TR-XAFS) techniques. This involves using a pulsed X-ray source to excite the sample and then measuring the absorption spectrum at different time intervals to obtain information about the electronic and structural changes in the sample.

3. What is the significance of studying M-edges in TR-XAFS in Lanthanides?

The M-edges in TR-XAFS provide valuable information about the electronic structure and bonding of lanthanide compounds. This can help in understanding the chemical and physical properties of these elements and their compounds, which are important for various applications in materials science, catalysis, and environmental science.

4. What are some challenges in studying M-edges in TR-XAFS in Lanthanides?

One of the main challenges in studying M-edges in TR-XAFS in lanthanides is the low absorption cross-section of these elements, which can make it difficult to obtain accurate data. Additionally, the high energy X-rays required for M-edge spectroscopy can cause radiation damage to the sample, which must be carefully managed.

5. How can M-edges in TR-XAFS be used in practical applications?

The information obtained from studying M-edges in TR-XAFS can be applied in various practical applications, such as designing new materials with specific properties, optimizing catalytic reactions, and monitoring environmental changes. Additionally, M-edge spectroscopy can also help in characterizing lanthanide-containing materials used in industries such as electronics, energy, and healthcare.