Absorption of Light: IR, Visible & Hydrogen Atom

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of dipole moments in IR spectroscopy and how they are necessary for absorption of IR light. It also touches on the concept of angular momentum and how it relates to electron transitions and the conservation of angular momentum in an isolated system. The speakers also mention the difference between intrinsic and orbital angular momentum and how they apply to the transition from a 1s to a 2s state.
Gavroy
hi

i am a little bit confused right now. i just read wikipedia about IR-spectroscopy and it is said, that:
"In order for a vibrational mode in a molecule to be "IR active," it must be associated with changes in the dipole. A permanent dipole is not necessary, as the rule requires only a change in dipole moment."
okay, i heard that his has to do with the transition dipole moment. but here comes my question, now:
if it is necessary for absorption of IR-light to have a change in dipole moment, why don't you need this when it comes to electron transitions with visible light.
cause, if i refer to the hydrogen atom, where you can it is possible to have the transition from the state n=1 to n=2. the dipole moment is always zero?

and my second question is this one:

if you have a hydrogen atom in a 1s-ground state. and you have a photon that is absorbed and takes the electron to the 2- state, then my book says, this would have to be the 2p state, as there has to be a change in angular momentum. but as far as i know, photons do not have angular momentum. they only have a spin. so why do you have to consider angular momentum instead of spin in this case. and where does the angular momentum of the photon come from?

ah and sorry for my english skills, i am still practising.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gavroy said:
as far as i know, photons do not have angular momentum. they only have a spin.

"Spin" = "intrinsic angular momentum". The other kind of angular momentum is "orbital angular momentum". The sum of the two, over all particles in an isolated system, is conserved.

okay, but this would not explain, why it is impossible to have a transition from a 1s to a 2s state (so same orbital angular momentum) and change the spin of the electron from let me say -1/2 to 1/2, or where am I wrong?

In IR spectroscopy, like in spectroscopy with visible light, there only has to be a transition dipole moment. Neither the initial nor the final state have to have a dipole moment.
As far as the transition from 1s to 2s is concerned: It is possible as far as angular momentum conservation is concerned, however, there is no associated change in dipole moment whence it is not observed.

1. What is the difference between IR and visible light?

IR (infrared) light has a longer wavelength and lower energy compared to visible light. This means that IR light is less energetic and cannot be seen by the human eye, while visible light has a shorter wavelength and higher energy, making it visible to the human eye.

2. How does the absorption of light occur in a hydrogen atom?

In a hydrogen atom, the electron can jump to a higher energy level when it absorbs a photon of a specific energy (or wavelength) of light. This happens because the energy of the photon matches the energy difference between the two energy levels. The absorption of light in a hydrogen atom is a crucial process in the formation of emission spectra.

3. What is the significance of the absorption of light in chemistry?

The absorption of light is essential in chemistry because it allows us to study the structure and properties of molecules. Different molecules absorb light at specific wavelengths, which can provide information about their composition and bonding. This is the basis of techniques such as infrared spectroscopy and UV-visible spectroscopy.

4. How is the absorption of light related to color?

The absorption of light is closely related to color. When an object absorbs certain wavelengths of light and reflects others, it appears to have a specific color. For example, a red object appears red because it absorbs all other colors in the visible spectrum except for red, which it reflects.

5. Can the absorption of light be reversed?

Yes, the absorption of light can be reversed through a process called stimulated emission. This occurs when an electron in an excited state is stimulated by a photon of the same energy to fall back to its original energy level, releasing a photon in the process. This is the principle behind the functioning of lasers, which produce a coherent beam of light through the process of stimulated emission.