Macbook 13.3 Pro vs Air: Price vs Performance for Research Needs

• Thread starter MostlyHarmless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, people generally think that the Macbooks are more reliable, have longer battery life, and still has the power they need for programs like Mathematica or Sage. However, the newer models have a higher price tag.
MostlyHarmless
I'm looking into getting a laptop this summer if I'm able to get into an REU. I was looking at macbooks, just because they are reliable, have long battery life, and still has the power I need for programs like Mathematica or Sage, since it will be used for research, the computing will probably be heavier than your average calculus class.

Can anyone speak towards the price vs. performance between the newest 13.3" Pro vs the previous model or the 13.3" air, or even previous model air?

Basically I'm looking at 4gb of ram and 128gb ssd. All models I'm considering have the 2 core i5, different generations, obviously.

Keep in my mind, this isn't a question about Mac vs PC price vs performance. I know I could get a much more powerful windows laptop for the same price. My main concern is reliability. I need this laptop to last me through my program, my last academic year, and then most of the way through grad school. So at least 3 years.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Generally, the Macbooks are more reliable, mainly because they use more expensive components. Their latest incarnation of OSX is way better than it was a couple of years ago. But - after 3 years, you are stuck with a 3 year old CPU, graphic card, memory etc.

On the Mac everything is dead easy - or totally impossible
Jerry Pournelle

So then probably wouldn't consider anything earlier than 2012?
Seems like there is about a $200-$400 difference between the '12 pro and an equivalent new '14 pro. But these '12s are pretty much all used or "refurbished"

And only about a $100-$200 difference between the '13 and '14 models.

And also a new air vs pro there is about a $100, if I decided to just go brand new, I feel like I would just spend the extra $100 for the pro.

Mac performance is usually very good for many years. I have a first gen Air and it still runs great. Only problem is I can't advance OS past Mountain Lion.

I've thought about a used mac, but I was worried about battery life, but your Air's battery life is still good?

MostlyHarmless said:
I've thought about a used mac, but I was worried about battery life, but your Air's battery life is still good?
No it's bascially dead and has to be plugged in :D

That is a bit unsettling, how old it is?

MostlyHarmless said:
That is a bit unsettling, how old it is?
First generation, so made in late 2008

I imagine the newer models' batteries last longer, but how long ago did you notice your battery start to go?

MostlyHarmless said:
I imagine the newer models' batteries last longer, but how long ago did you notice your battery start to go?
Yeah I wouldn't worry about it. Noticed 2 years ago.

Cool, thank you for your input. I still have a few months before I need to get one, but I can't help but start shopping early. Hopefully prices will go down a bit by then.

MostlyHarmless said:
Hopefully prices will go down a bit by then.
I wouldn't bet on it. Apple hold prices pretty well until the next product release.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping, that the 2015 models will be out before the summer.

That's a good strategy if you can wait. I've bought most of my Macs when they were on sale after a successor model was announced.

What is the difference between Macbook 13.3 Pro and 13.3 Air?

The main difference between the Macbook 13.3 Pro and 13.3 Air is their design and performance. The Pro model has a more powerful processor and graphics card, making it better suited for tasks like video editing and gaming. The Air model, on the other hand, has a lighter and thinner design, making it more portable and suitable for everyday use.

Which one has a longer battery life?

The Macbook 13.3 Air has a longer battery life compared to the Pro model. This is because the Air model is designed to be more energy-efficient, with a smaller and less powerful processor. However, the battery life may vary depending on usage and settings.

Can both models support external displays?

Yes, both the Macbook 13.3 Pro and Air models can support external displays. However, the Pro model has better graphics capabilities, making it more suitable for tasks that require a higher resolution or multiple displays.

Which one is better for multitasking?

The Macbook 13.3 Pro is better for multitasking due to its more powerful processor and higher RAM capacity. It can handle multiple applications and tasks simultaneously without experiencing significant slowdowns.

Is there a price difference between the two models?

Yes, there is a price difference between the Macbook 13.3 Pro and Air models. The Pro model is typically more expensive due to its higher performance capabilities and features. However, the Air model may be a more budget-friendly option for those who do not require as much processing power.