Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Macbook Pro, Linux or PC for CC Physics Major?

1. Sep 5, 2015 #1
    I'm just starting school as a Liberal Arts intending to major in Physics at my Local CC.
    **This question is for FUTURE REFERENCE!!!!***

In regards to software support, what OS would I need? I've heard mixed reports & more forums leaning towards the Macbook Air / Pro side. Is this correct?

I'm intending to transfer out to a 4yr University eventually (ex; University of Washington - Seattle, Indiana University - Bloomington, etc..)

Link to the exact program:

http://www.monroecc.edu/etsdbs/mccatpub.nsf/programsbycode/ls01?opendocument&front-description

Link to the MCC Typical Physics Advisement Sequence:

http://www.monroecc.edu/DAuditSheet...A3214E6E840CA4B685257E060070CD89?OpenDocument

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2015 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I use a MacBook Pro, with Microsoft Office (for the Mac) and I use Parallels VMware with Win7 installed since I have to use some software that only operates on Win7.

I have a colleague who uses a Dell desktop and laptop, and he has a VMware with Linux installed.

So it goes either way.

I've also used dual bootable workstation with 4 processors that used Windows 7 Pro and Mandriva Linux, although any Linux/Unix system would probably have worked. In all cases, we use what is compatible with the company's IT system.

4. Sep 5, 2015 #3
    I would probably require something higher-powered? Like something closer to a "Gaming rig" or "workstation PC" ex; Lenovo W541, HP ZBOOKs, whatever. I'm aware Physics does require some CAD / CAM Apps / Software. Although there is a hefty amount of software on the Linux support side for Physics software. There is the Wine Windows App emulator / launcher. & I have heard that most CERN Employees & Interns do use Macs the majority of the time. So I guess it does go either way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook