1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Machine gun conservation of momentum problem

1. Jun 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A machine gun held by a soldier fires bullets at the rate of three per second. Each bullet has a mass of 30 g and a speed of 1200 m/s. Find the average force exerted on the soldier.

2. Relevant equations
    FΔt = mgf-mgi

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to do this by plugging it into the above equation 1200(.03)/ 3 = 12 to find the average force. The actual answer is 108. I know that the 3 should actually be multiplied to find the force but I am not sure why. Wouldn't that be finding the average momentum per second?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't the impulse equation:

FΔt = mΔv ?

What Δt are you using?

Remember, the cyclic rate of the gun is 3 rounds per second.

4. Jun 6, 2014 #3
    Yes it is the title was a typo. I am using 3 as the change in time.

5. Jun 6, 2014 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Why did you divide by 3?

6. Jun 6, 2014 #5
    because I thought that was the Δt.

7. Jun 6, 2014 #6

Nathanael

Homework Helper

You could make Δt 3 if you want to, but then would the "1200*0.3" be correct? (To me that implies Δt=1/3 since 0.3 is the mass of one bullet and it takes 1/3 of a second for 1 bullet to be shot.)

Edit:
    What is the mass of all the bullets shot in Δt=3 seconds?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  8. Jun 6, 2014 #7
    OK I see the time would be 1/3 because it takes 1/3 of a second to fire a bullet therefore you have to divide by 1/3. Thanks!

9. Jun 6, 2014 #8

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Yes, correct.

But you could use any Δt you want. If Δt=3 then instead of 1200*0.03 you'll have 1200*0.27 (because 0.27 is the mass of all of the bullets shot in 3 seconds).

Then divide by 3 and you'll get the same answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted