Newton's laws of motion: A gun firing bullets....

In summary: Since weight is a force, I take this to mean the force is equal to the weight of a 5g mass. This is where the value for g comes in.O yes, now i get it.n* 0.01= 10 *(5/1000) (mass in kg=5/1000kg)n comes out to be 5, which is the correct answer.
subhradeep mahata

Homework Statement

A gun fires bullets each of mass 1g with velocity of 10m/s by exerting a constant force of 5 g weight. Find the number of bullets fired per second (take g=10 m/s2).

Homework Equations

F=ma
M1U1 + M2U2 = M1V1 + M2V2 (conservation of linear momentum)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure why and how the concept of acceleration due to gravity is to be used here, are the bullets being fired vertically upwards? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
subhradeep mahata said:

Homework Statement

A gun fires bullets each of mass 1g with velocity of 10m/s by exerting a constant force of 5 g weight. Find the number of bullets fired per second (take g=10 m/s2).

Homework Equations

F=ma
M1U1 + M2U2 = M1V1 + M2V2 (conservation of linear momentum)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure why and how the concept of acceleration due to gravity is to be used here, are the bullets being fired vertically upwards? Any help is appreciated.
Welcome to the PF.

There are some issues with the problem statement. Is there a figure that goes with it? As you say, for a gun firing bullets horizontally, it kind of makes no sense. Also, "5g" is not a weight, it's a mass. Did you copy the problem statement exactly?

Likes subhradeep mahata
subhradeep mahata said:
by exerting a constant force of 5 g weight
I assume this is the average force (assumed constant) that the gun exerts on the stream of bullets. (To get an actual force, convert the mass to its equivalent weight using W = mg.)

Yes, i have copied it correctly and there are no diagrams or figures.

Doc Al said:
I assume this is the average force (assumed constant) that the gun exerts on the stream of bullets. (To get an actual force, convert the mass to its equivalent weight using W = mg.)
Will i assume g weight as g force?

Please tell me the method to do it

How does force relate to momentum?

Force=rate of change of momentum
F = m(v-u)/t

subhradeep mahata said:
Force=rate of change of momentum
Good. And each bullet fired has how much momentum? So how many bullets per second are required to produce the required force?

momentum of each bullet = 1(10-0) g m/s
rate of change of momentum of each bullet = 10/1 or simply 10 g/ms2 or equivalently 0.01kg m/s2
rate of change of momentum of n bullets = n*0.01 kg m/s2
now this is equal to some force
but what will be that force?

subhradeep mahata said:
now this is equal to some force
but what will be that force?
That force is given in the problem statement:
subhradeep mahata said:
a constant force of 5 g weight

5 g weight ?
do we have to convert it to Newton or can we directly use it?
and is my rest of the answer correct?

" ... exerting a constant force of 5 g weight. "
Since weight is a force, I take this to mean the force is equal to the weight of a 5g mass. This is where the value for g comes in.

Likes subhradeep mahata
O yes, now i get it.
n* 0.01= 10 *(5/1000) (mass in kg=5/1000kg)
n comes out to be 5, which is the correct answer.
Thanks Merlin3189 and Doc Al for helping me out. :)
thank you very much

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

There are some issues with the problem statement. Is there a figure that goes with it? As you say, for a gun firing bullets horizontally, it kind of makes no sense. Also, "5g" is not a weight, it's a mass. Did you copy the problem statement exactly?
Thanks berkeman.

berkeman said:
for a gun firing bullets horizontally, it kind of makes no sense
No, there's no issue here. The average force exerted by the gun to accelerate the bullets is independent of orientation.
berkeman said:
Also, "5g" is not a weight, it's a mass.
This highlights an ambiguity around "g". Is it here standing for "grams" or gravitational acceleration?
If the latter, the units are missing. E.g. if the mass were just m then we could write mg as a force, but substituting m=5g (grams now) leads to the frightful 5g g, i.e. a force of 5g grams.
But I would say here it means grams, and although that makes "5g" a mass it is actually ok to write "5g weight" because that is a common way of expressing the force experienced by a mass in a given gravitational field.

Likes berkeman

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by a net external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws apply to a gun firing bullets?

The first law applies as the bullet remains at rest in the gun until the trigger is pulled. The second law applies as the force of the expanding gas from the gunpowder accelerates the bullet, and the third law applies as the bullet exerts an equal and opposite force on the gun, causing recoil.

3. Can an object violate Newton's laws of motion?

No, Newton's laws are fundamental principles of physics and have been extensively tested and proven. However, certain situations, such as those involving extreme speeds or forces, may require the use of more advanced principles of physics.

4. How do Newton's laws explain the trajectory of a bullet fired from a gun?

Newton's laws, specifically the second law, explain the curved trajectory of a bullet fired from a gun. As the bullet leaves the gun, it experiences a downward force due to gravity, causing it to follow a parabolic path.

5. Do Newton's laws only apply to objects on Earth?

No, Newton's laws apply to all objects in the universe, regardless of location or environment. They are universal principles that govern the behavior of all matter and energy.