Mag 4.1 Earthquake here in S. Ontario

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 3K views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,693
Reaction score
9,084
TL;DR
Apparently felt by 14 million people.
https://allquakes.com/earthquakes/q...okmuTjxpItGwbMkJ92_aem_RlPEuBPU24dVF38nLSWy3g

I thought their choice of sample sites was amusing:

1769622362576.webp

39 reports from stations between 56 and 282km distant.
1 report at 3525km distance
1769622574158.webp


I wonder if this is just an algorithm choosing randomly, or if it's standard practice to provide some sort of "control" reading, perhaps to help rule out false positive glitches.
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
We didn't. feel anything in Texas.

I couldn't catch your joke; the writing is too small to zoom in on.

When was the last time Ontario had an earthquake?

I recall while living in Schenectady, NY a 1983 earthquake of magnitude 5.1. Schenectady is in the tri-city region of NY about the capital Albany or the confluence of the Mohawk and Hudson rivers.

It was a funny feeling. I felt the bed shake and thought it was a dream.
 
jedishrfu said:
We didn't. feel anything in Texas.
I'd be surprised if you did .. after six weeks.

jedishrfu said:
I couldn't catch your joke; the writing is too small to zoom in on.
It's just the data table that the map is rendered with. One site is in Central America.

jedishrfu said:
When was the last time Ontario had an earthquake?
We get them all the time, they're just too small to bother with.