Mag 6.0 - 76km S of Atka, Alaska and Swarm

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: Always remember too, that in these situations, a big quake doesn't mean immediate/short term volcanism. It is the long term subduction of the seafloor plate that produces both the quakes and the volcanism, not the other way around.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
There is a swarm of earthquakes in the area. It was lead off by a Mag 5.0, which was followed by the Mag 6.0.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us20005axu#general_region

2016-03-19 01:35:12 (UTC)
Depth: 17.0 km (10.6 mi)

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us20005axl#general_region
The Mag 5.0 occurred 2016-03-19 01:22:16 (UTC)
Depth: 10.0 km (6.2 mi)

There were a bunch of 4.0-4.9 in the region following the first two.

Likes Drakkith
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
There is a swarm of earthquakes in the area. It was lead off by a Mag 5.0, which was followed by the Mag 6.0.

actually these are just ongoing aftershocks to a M 6.3 just over a week ago :wink:
which was preceded by several foreshocks

M 6.3 - 71km S of Atka, Alaska

Time: 2016-03-12 18:06:45 UTC
Depth: 19.0 km

160220-0319 events S of Atka Aleutians.JPG
cheers
Dave

davenn said:
actually these are just ongoing aftershocks to a M 6.3 just over a week ago :wink:
which was preceded by several foreshocks

M 6.3 - 71km S of Atka, Alaska

Time: 2016-03-12 18:06:45 UTC
Depth: 19.0 km
Yeah - I had intended to mention that one. I got distracted this afternoon.

I wonder if we'll see a larger one in the region.

Likes davenn
Astronuc said:
Yeah - I had intended to mention that one. I got distracted this afternoon.

no probs, I just didn't know if you knew it was part of an earlier larger event
your text sort of indicated that you didn't :wink:
so posted just in case :smile:

Dave

Likes davenn
1oldman2 said:
I wonder if those quakes were a precursor to this event, seems likely but not sure of the locations being in the same area. any thoughts?
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/2...ding-ash-20000-feet-in-air.html?intcmp=hplnws

the quakes were way too far away, more than 700km.

when looking at quake related volcanism, particularly in island arcs, look more closely at the islands and volcanoes immediately behind the subduction zone where the quakes occurred
Always remember too, that in these situations, a big quake doesn't mean immediate/short term volcanism. It is the long term subduction of the seafloor plate that produces both the quakes and the volcanism, not the other way around. That is, quakes and volcanism are by-products of the subduction, not the cause of it.cheers
Dave

Likes 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky

1. What is a "Mag 6.0 - 76km S of Atka, Alaska and Swarm"?

A "Mag 6.0 - 76km S of Atka, Alaska and Swarm" refers to a 6.0 magnitude earthquake that occurred 76 kilometers south of Atka, Alaska. The term "swarm" indicates that there were multiple earthquakes that occurred in the same area around the same time.

2. Where is Atka, Alaska located?

Atka, Alaska is a small city located on Atka Island in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. It is approximately 1,100 miles southwest of Anchorage and has a population of around 61 people.

3. What is the significance of this earthquake and swarm?

The earthquake and swarm could potentially be significant because they can cause damage to structures and infrastructure in the area. They can also trigger landslides and tsunamis, which can be dangerous for coastal communities. It is important for scientists to monitor and study these events to better understand earthquake activity and prepare for future events.

4. How do scientists measure the magnitude of an earthquake?

Scientists use a device called a seismograph to measure the magnitude of an earthquake. The magnitude is determined by the amplitude of the seismic waves recorded by the seismograph. The higher the amplitude, the larger the magnitude of the earthquake.

5. Is this earthquake and swarm related to any other recent seismic activity?

It is possible that this earthquake and swarm could be related to other recent seismic activity in the area. Scientists will analyze data and monitor activity to determine if there is a correlation between this event and others in the region. However, earthquakes can also occur independently due to natural tectonic processes.