1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnectic force on current carrying wire

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The net charge in a current-carrying wire is zero.Then,why does a magnetic field exert a force on it?

2. Relevant equations

dF=I*dl x B

3. The attempt at a solution
    if we take a small portion of wire the net charge is zero,so if i take the frame of electrons that is im moving so i have a charge with me..and i get a force due to it..i dont know weather my explanation was correct or wrong??

dont go to lorentz transformation to explain..(in case needed)..because i dont have the idea of relativity theory in maxwell equations..im saying this because i had read many post on similar kind of topic where every one finally explained with lorentz transformation..saying that in one frame its magnetism..its electricity in another frame..:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2
    What does the net charge have to do with it? A moving charge will experience a force in a magnetic field via F = qv x B. The current is just a lot of negative charges moving, so the current should feel the same force. The positive charges are stationary, so there is no counter-balancing magnetic force on them.

4. Jul 23, 2010 #3
    yes..thank u...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook