Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnesium and acid rates reactions

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] magnesium and acid rates reactions

im producing an investigation in the reaction between magnesium a solid metal, and acids of varying concentration, pH and temperatures. these variables are to produce results for comparison. however i am unsure about what apparatus would be most suitable, for this investigation eg heating acids safely, collecting gas products, timing them, volumes to be recorded.

one approach is to record the time taken for a certain amount of H2 gas to be produced in a reaction between Mg and HCl.

what would you suggest? any offers welcome.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest you examine the effect of surface area as well as pH and concentration.

4. Oct 25, 2007 #3
    chemistree

thanks for the suggestions, i have already thought of these as investigations my question is what apparatus should i use to produce results usefull for comparison ie with a good degree of accuracy and minimal possible error.

perhaps someone can suggest such experiments and ideal apparatus?

5. Oct 26, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you heard of gas burets? Try this.

6. Oct 27, 2007 #5
    ive heard of them, but i dont believe our chemistry budgit at college stretchs that far, ive been looking at measuring gas evolution using an inverted burette and a trough full of water etc but my worry is that ive used it before only to collect oxygen. here i will be collecting hydrogen and im worried as an amatuer chemist whether i will get accurate readings as i cant think for the life of me wether hydrogen gas will react with the water giving inaccurate results.

7. Oct 27, 2007 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You will be fine. Read the article more carefully.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?