1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field above a Rectangular Circuit

1. Jan 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On the XY there lies a conducting wire-rectangle with sides parallel to the axis.
    The current is given and constant.
    What is the magnitude of the magnetic field along an axis parallel to the z axis, going through the intersection of the rectangle's diagonals?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] \vec { dB } =\frac { I }{ c{ \left| \vec { r } \right| }^{ 3 } } \vec { dl } \times \vec { r } [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Due to symmetry, I can expect the field along this axis to be in the z direction. I can integrate along just one of each pair of the circuit's sides and double the result.
    What i'm having trouble with is the cross product in Biot-Savart's Law - it seems to me that the angle [itex] { \theta }_{ \vec { dl } ,\vec { r } } [/itex]changes throughout the integral. If this is true then it seems the calculation of the field is not too easy..
    I'd just like to make sure i'm correct before I get into it - does [itex] { \theta }_{ \vec { dl } ,\vec { r } } [/itex]change throughout the integral?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2013 #2
    Remind yourself how the calculation goes for an infinite line of current using the Biot-Savart law. The same calculation will apply to each piece of the loop, just with finite integration bounds.

4. Jan 11, 2013 #3
    I haven't calculated that field with Biot-Savart.. But I presume the implied answer is that the angle changes and this is not negligible.. Right?

5. Jan 12, 2013 #4
    Yes, the angle changes. It is usually one of the first calculations done in any EM text after introducing the Biot-Savart law. You can take at look at "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths, for instance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook