1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field at the center of a solenoid?

1. May 20, 2008 #1
    A studetn needs to make a solenoid that produses 1.09 T at its center. a wire will be wrapped around a solid cylinder of iron with a relative permeability Km of 1400, a length of 13.3 cm and a radius of 1.92 cm. if the wire can carry a max current of 1.15 A how many turns of wire are neede to produce the desired B field?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2
    Can you try to find an expression for the magnetic field at the center of a solenoid?
    (I think you cannot use Ampere's law here (since the length is only 13.3cm, if you use Ampere's law you assume the lenght is nearly infinite).)

The expression for B will be in terms of the current, the length, the radius, the permeability and the number of turns. Solve for the number of turns, and you can plug in your values.
  4. May 21, 2008 #3
    (I can't edit my post anymore..?)

Do you know Ampere's law?
    Do you know Biot-Savart's law?
    Do you know which one you must use here?

You could use Ampere's law, which makes the calculation lots easier, but it will also be much more of an approximation.
    If you use Biot-Savart's law the magnetic field is more exact. I don't know how much the answer will vary depending on which method you use, it could well be that it is the same (since you will also have to round it to an integer, having 31.53 coils for example doesn't make sense..)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?