Magnetic Field between two wires

In summary, the problem involves two parallel conductors carrying opposite currents and the goal is to find the magnetic field at a specific point. The solution involves adding the magnetic fields produced by each conductor using the right-hand rule. This is because the magnetic fields are parallel vectors, so they must be added instead of subtracted.
SamTsui86

Homework Statement

Two parallel conductors carry currents in opposite directions, as shown in Figure P19.56. One conductor carries a current of 10.0 A. Point A is the midpoint between the wires, and point C is 5.00 cm to the right of the 10.0 A current. I is adjusted so that the magnetic field at C is zero.

p19_52.gif

Find the value of the magnetic field at A.

Homework Equations

B = (uI)/(2pi(r))

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually got the solution. I know that I have to add the field produce by the two currents together. so (uI)/(2pi(.05)) + (uI1)/(2pi(.05)) = B
But can anyone explain why I have to add them together instead of subtracting them? I figured since that current are in opposite direction I would have to subtract them. Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
right hand rule.

The magnetic fields are two parallel vectors. So combining two parallel vectors is addition. Subtraction would be necessary if the current in one wire was flowing in the opposite direction. This gave me pause too.

1. What is a magnetic field between two wires?

The magnetic field between two wires is a physical phenomenon that occurs when electric currents flow through two parallel wires. The current in one wire creates a magnetic field, which then interacts with the current in the other wire, resulting in a force between the two wires.

2. How is the strength of the magnetic field between two wires determined?

The strength of the magnetic field between two wires is determined by the distance between the wires, the amount of current flowing through each wire, and the orientation of the wires relative to each other. It can also be affected by the type of material the wires are made of.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field between two wires?

The direction of the magnetic field between two wires follows the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current in one wire, the direction of the magnetic field will follow the direction of your curled fingers around the wire.

4. How does the magnetic field between two wires affect nearby objects?

The magnetic field between two wires can induce currents in nearby conductive objects, causing them to experience a force or potentially heat up. It can also affect the behavior of magnetic materials, such as magnets, in the vicinity of the wires.

5. Can the magnetic field between two wires be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field between two wires can be manipulated by changing the current flow in one or both wires, altering the orientation of the wires, or by using external magnets to influence the field. This phenomenon is used in various applications, such as electromagnets and electric motors.