1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field between two wires

1. Mar 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two parallel conductors carry currents in opposite directions, as shown in Figure P19.56. One conductor carries a current of 10.0 A. Point A is the midpoint between the wires, and point C is 5.00 cm to the right of the 10.0 A current. I is adjusted so that the magnetic field at C is zero.

[​IMG]

Find the value of the magnetic field at A.

2. Relevant equations

B = (uI)/(2pi(r))

3. The attempt at a solution

I actually got the solution. I know that I have to add the field produce by the two currents together. so (uI)/(2pi(.05)) + (uI1)/(2pi(.05)) = B
    But can anyone explain why I have to add them together instead of subtracting them? I figured since that current are in opposite direction I would have to subtract them. Thank You
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2007 #2
    right hand rule.

4. Apr 18, 2010 #3
    The magnetic fields are two parallel vectors. So combining two parallel vectors is addition. Subtraction would be necessary if the current in one wire was flowing in the opposite direction. This gave me pause too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?