1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field due to a current

1. Jul 30, 2006 #1

app

INTRODUCTION: I had been doing some problems on "Magnetic field due to a current." Now i have one in which one has to find the field at the centre of a regular n-sided polygon. I dont know why i'm not getting it.
    THE EXACT PROBLEM: "A regular polygon of n sides is formed by bending a wire of total length 2Πr which carries a current i.(a)Find the magnetic field at the centre of the polygon.(b)By letting n -> infinity, deduce the expression for the magnetic field at the centre of a circular current."
    WHAT MY BRAIN SUGGESTED: The first part is allright.The length of each side is (2Πr)/n. Now using B=(mew)i (cosθ-cosθ)/(4Πd), i got the magnetic field at the centre of the polygon as {(mew)i (n^2) sin(Π/n)tan(Π/n)}/2(Π^2)r. But i have no idea how to get part (b).
    WHAT I ALSO KNOW:The magnetic field at the centre of a circular current is (mew)i/2a, where a is the radius of the circle. How do we deduce this from the earlier expression?
    CONCLUSION:I really dont know how to deduce part (b).Please help. Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a) express the two angles as a function of the number of sides, n.

Then take the limit as [itex]n\rightarrow\infty[/itex]

AM

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  4. Jul 31, 2006 #3

app

Thanks...

THANKS: Thanks a lot, i got it now.I didn't remember to take the limits.:smile: :smile: :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?