Magnetic field due to an elliptical coil

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Biot Savart's law to find the magnetic field due to an elliptical coil. The coil is in the xy plane and the goal is to find the field in the yz plane, with the z-axis perpendicular to the coil. The process involves tedious integration, but there may be a final expression available. The use of numerical integration with Matlab is also mentioned. Further clarification is needed on the desired location of the magnetic field before proceeding with calculations.
lekshmi
Is there any expression for finding out the magnetic field due to an elliptical coil?
Can we proceed with Biot Savart's law?
If so what is the final expression?

Physics news on Phys.org
lekshmi said:
Is there any expression for finding out the magnetic field due to an elliptical coil?
Can we proceed with Biot Savart's law?
If so what is the final expression?

Yes you can use Biot Savart's Law.

So, now that you know "which instruments" to use, you can answer your second question yourself. If you need any help, just show us where you got stuck.

Good luck

regards
marlon

My elliptical coil lies in the xy plane.
I want to find out magnetic field in the yz plane. Zaxis is perpendicular to the coil.
I applied Biot Savart’s law and got integrals for B(y) and B(z).

Numerical integration is possible with Matlab.
But I would like to know whether there is any final expression as in the case of circular loop.
lekshmi

As marlon said, this is straight-forward application of Biot Savart's law and some very tedious integration. I'm not able to find the calculated result on the net.

Also, do you want to find the magnetic field at any point, or only in the xy plane?

If you want, you could post your steps here and we can help to check if it's right.

Last edited:

What is an elliptical coil?

An elliptical coil is a type of electromagnetic coil that has a shape resembling an ellipse. It is typically used to generate a magnetic field in a specific direction.

How is the magnetic field of an elliptical coil calculated?

The magnetic field of an elliptical coil can be calculated using the formula B = μnI(1 + k^2)/√(a^2 + b^2), where B is the magnetic field, μ is the permeability of the medium, n is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current, k is the ellipticity factor (ratio of major to minor axis), and a and b are the major and minor radii of the coil.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in an elliptical coil?

The strength of the magnetic field in an elliptical coil is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through the coil, and the shape of the coil (specifically, the ellipticity factor).

What is the purpose of using an elliptical coil instead of a circular coil?

An elliptical coil allows for more control over the direction and shape of the magnetic field compared to a circular coil. This can be useful in certain applications, such as in magnetic sensors or in medical devices.

Can an elliptical coil be used for both generating and detecting magnetic fields?

Yes, an elliptical coil can be used for both generating and detecting magnetic fields. By passing a current through the coil, it can generate a magnetic field. And by measuring the changes in the magnetic field, it can also be used as a sensor to detect changes in the environment.