1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field from a square loop

1. Nov 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wire is formed into the shape of a square of edge length L. Show that when the current in
    the loop is I, the magnetic field at point P a distance x from the center of the square along its axis is $$B=\frac{\mu_0 IL^2}{2\pi(x^2+L^2/4)\sqrt{x^2+L^2/2}}$$
    Capture2.png

2. Relevant equations
    ##d\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{I\vec{ds}\times\hat{r}}{r^2}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Capture2.png

##d\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{I\vec{ds}\sin\theta}{r^2}## where ##\theta## is the angle between ##\hat{r}## and ##\vec{ds}## therefore ##\sin\theta=\sqrt{\frac{x^2+L^2/4}{z^2+x^2+L^2/4}}##
    From the symmetry of the problem it's clear that only the components parallel to ##x## will be leftover which seem to be given by ##\sin\phi## but in the solution they are given by ##\cos\phi## which doesn't make any sense to me.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What angle does ##d\vec{B}## make to the x axis?

4. Nov 20, 2015 #3
    Okay I got the angle it makes with the x axis from the most basic case where ##x=0##

On one side of the x axis all angles must add up to ##\pi## therefore (where x is the angle between ##d\vec{B}## and the x axis):
    $$
    \pi=(\pi/2-\phi)+\pi/2+x\Longrightarrow x=\phi
    $$

Thanks it makes sense now!

5. Nov 20, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Nice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted