Magnetic field from vector potential function using tensor notation

In summary, the homework statement is that the magnetic field can be derived from a vector potential function as follows: B = ∇×A. One possible vector potential function is A = \frac{1}{2}B_{0}×r.
thatguy14

Homework Statement

We will see (in Chap. 5) that the magnetic field can be derived from a vector potential function as
follows:
B = ∇×A
Show that, in the special case of a uniform magnetic field B[itex]_{0}[/itex] , one possible
vector potential function is A = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]B[itex]_{0}[/itex]×r

MUST USE TENSOR NOTATIONm also B0 is constant (uniform magnetic field)

Homework Equations

ε[itex]_{ijk}[/itex]ε[itex]_{klm}[/itex] = δ[itex]_{il}[/itex]δ[itex]_{jm}[/itex] - δ[itex]_{im}[/itex]δ[itex]_{jl}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried a bunch of different things but I am missing something near the end.
Here is what I have

B = (∇×A)[itex]_{i}[/itex]
B = ε[itex]_{ijk}[/itex]∂[itex]_{j}[/itex]A[itex]_{k}[/itex]
B = ε[itex]_{ijk}[/itex]∂[itex]_{j}[/itex] ([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ε[itex]_{klm}[/itex]B[itex]_{0l}[/itex]r[itex]_{m}[/itex])
B = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ε[itex]_{ijk}[/itex]ε[itex]_{klm}[/itex]∂[itex]_{j}[/itex]B[itex]_{0l}[/itex]r[itex]_{m}[/itex])

where ε[itex]_{ijk}[/itex]ε[itex]_{klm}[/itex] = δ[itex]_{il}[/itex]δ[itex]_{jm}[/itex] - δ[itex]_{im}[/itex]δ[itex]_{jl}[/itex]

So B = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][δ[itex]_{il}[/itex]δ[itex]_{jm}[/itex] - δ[itex]_{im}[/itex]δ[itex]_{jl}[/itex]]∂[itex]_{j}[/itex]B[itex]_{0l}[/itex]r[itex]_{m}[/itex]

Changing indicies gives (noting that the derivative of constant = 0 and using the product rule)

B = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][B[itex]_{0i}[/itex]∂[itex]_{m}[/itex]r[itex]_{m}[/itex] - B[itex]_{0l}[/itex]∂[itex]_{l}[/itex]r[itex]_{i}[/itex]]

And that's where I am stuck. What comes next? I am assuming that with the last term there, l and i have to be equal (because if they aren't then it equals 0) and I think I have to introduct the krockner delta somewhere but I am unsure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the expression ##\partial_m r_m## you are summing over ##m##. Consider one term of that sum, say ##\partial_2 r_2##. Can you see what that is equal to?

You are right that you can express ##\partial_l r_i## in terms of a Kronecker delta.

Would ∂[itex]_{m}[/itex]r[itex]_{m}[/itex] just be equal to the divergence of r i.e. ∇°r?

and for expressing it as a krockner delta is it just ∂[itex]_{l}[/itex]r[itex]_{i}[/itex] = δ[itex]_{li}[/itex]∂r?

thatguy14 said:
Would ∂[itex]_{m}[/itex]r[itex]_{m}[/itex] just be equal to the divergence of r i.e. ∇°r?
Yes. You should be able to reduce ∂[itex]_{m}[/itex]r[itex]_{m}[/itex] to a number.

and for expressing it as a krockner delta is it just ∂[itex]_{l}[/itex]r[itex]_{i}[/itex] = δ[itex]_{li}[/itex]∂r?

Not quite. It's simpler than you wrote.

For the first thing, its just 1 right? And that's because the derivative of r with respect to r is just 1?

For the second... l has to equal i is what I am going to go with so does that mean that that portion is equal to 0? Or is that incorrect?

thatguy14 said:
For the first thing, its just 1 right? And that's because the derivative of r with respect to r is just 1?

no, you can't differentiate wrt a vector

(and if you mean |r|, that isn't in your equation)

instead of ∂/∂r, try ∂/∂x or ∂/∂y or ∂/∂z :smile:

What does the symbol ##\partial_m## stand for? It is a derivative with respect to something. What is the "something"?

oh... Okay then let me try again:

since r is x i + y j + z k when we take the divergence we get 3?

thatguy14 said:
since r is x i + y j + z k when we take the divergence we get 3?

Yes. Good.

Likes 1 person
Okay awesome (rather silly of me though)! Now for the second portion I am still lost. I am going to take a guess that it just equals 1 but I can't justify it to myself. Is that correct? and if it is why is it correct?

if you get confused, remember you can always write ∂mrn as ∂xn/∂xm

which equals … ? :smile:

well it would equal 1 only if the indices are equal so then is it equal to 3 also? (because of the y and z components)?

edit: looking only at the x component the indicies are summed to 3 so for the x component is it equal to 3?

thatguy14 said:
well it would equal 1 only if the indices are equal …

hold it there!

so (for fixed m and n) ∂xn/∂xm = … ? :smile:

Right we don't have a repeated index

that would then = 0 because you are looking at different components correct?

∂xn/∂xm = δmn :wink:

Likes 1 person
hm. I can see how that works now but do you think you can explain that a little further if possible?

Also that means then I have this left with the appropriate substituitons:
[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][3B[itex]_{0i}[/itex] - B[itex]_{0l}[/itex]δ[itex]_{li}[/itex]]

so then δ[itex]_{li}[/itex]] = 1 only if l = i or 0 if l ≠ i

changing indicies

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][3B[itex]_{0i}[/itex] - B[itex]_{0i}[/itex]δ(1)]

so then B = B[itex]_{0}[/itex]

and that's it correct?

Thank you by the way guys for your help. I am very glad you didn't just give me the answers and helped me along even if it was a little silly in hindsight!

thatguy14 said:
… B[itex]_{0l}[/itex]δ[itex]_{li}[/itex]

changing indicies

…B[itex]_{0i}[/itex]δ(1)]

once you've used the δ to change the indices, the δ disappears

B[itex]_{0l}[/itex]δ[itex]_{li}[/itex] = B0i :smile:

(oh, and i forgot to mention: your "B =" on the LHS of all your equations should have been "Bi = " :wink:)

Oh that was a mistake I knew that but thank you. You have been a wonderful help!

1. What is a magnetic field and how is it represented using a vector potential function?

A magnetic field is a fundamental component of electromagnetism and is responsible for the force experienced by moving charged particles. It is commonly represented using a vector potential function, which is a mathematical tool used to describe the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field at a given point in space.

2. What does tensor notation have to do with the magnetic field from a vector potential function?

Tensor notation is a mathematical method used to represent and manipulate vectors and tensors (higher dimensional objects). In the context of the magnetic field from a vector potential function, tensor notation allows us to express the relationship between the vector potential and magnetic field in a concise and elegant way.

3. How is the magnetic field from a vector potential function calculated using tensor notation?

In tensor notation, the magnetic field is calculated using the curl operator applied to the vector potential function. This results in a tensor equation that describes the magnetic field in terms of the vector potential and its derivatives.

4. What are the advantages of using tensor notation for the magnetic field from a vector potential function?

Tensor notation allows for a more efficient and compact representation of the magnetic field from a vector potential function. It also allows for a more elegant and intuitive understanding of the relationship between the vector potential and magnetic field.

5. Are there any limitations to using tensor notation for the magnetic field from a vector potential function?

While tensor notation is a powerful tool for describing the magnetic field from a vector potential function, it can be complex and difficult to understand for those who are not familiar with the mathematical concepts involved. Additionally, it may not always be the most practical approach for certain calculations or applications.