Magnetic Field of a bent infinite wire

In summary: Always remember to check for sign errors in your calculations. In summary, the problem involves finding the magnetic field at point a created by an infinitely long wire bent into a hairpin shape, with a current of 1.20 A. By using the Biot-Savart equation for an infinite line and a half circle, the magnetic field can be calculated by treating it as the sum of these two equations. It is important to check for sign errors in calculations.
evanclear

Homework Statement

A long hairpin is formed by bending an infinitely long wire, as shown. If a current of 1.20 A is set up in the wire, what is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the point a? Assume R = 3.20 cm.

http://lon-capa.mines.edu/res/csm/csmphyslib/type62_biotsavart_ampere/HairpinCurve.gif

Homework Equations

dB=μ0*I*dlx[itex]\overline{r}[/itex]
r^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the equation for two separate infinite lines and a full circle divided in half, and was unsuccessful. The same result occurred when i attempted to use the equation of a full line and a half circle. I came to the conclusion that i don't really know what I am doing when it comes to magnetism. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Set it as an attachment. Thanks for the heads up

Attachments

• HairpinCurve.gif
    HairpinCurve.gif
    2 KB · Views: 1,765
Fixed my own problem.

To anyone who might care, to solve this problem you can treat it as the sum of Biot-Savart Equations for an infinite line and a half circle, using R as your distance in both equations. I had attempted this once but didn't catch a sign error. Thanks anyway though.

Set up x-y system with origin at point a. Then use Biot-Savart separately
1) for the semicircle; easy integration since r is constant = R
2) top straight stretch, and
3) bottom straight stretch.

For 2) and 3) you will be integrating dl from 0 to infinity where dl is an element of wire.

evanclear said:
To anyone who might care, to solve this problem you can treat it as the sum of Biot-Savart Equations for an infinite line and a half circle, using R as your distance in both equations. I had attempted this once but didn't catch a sign error. Thanks anyway though.

Good point!

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical phenomenon created by moving electric charges. It is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed, and its strength and direction are determined by the magnitude and direction of the moving charges.

2. How is the magnetic field of a bent infinite wire defined?

The magnetic field of a bent infinite wire is defined as the magnetic force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at a point in space relative to the wire. It is also described by the magnetic flux density or magnetic field strength at that point.

3. How does the shape of the wire affect its magnetic field?

The shape of the wire does not affect the strength of its magnetic field, but it does determine the direction of the magnetic field lines. In a bent infinite wire, the magnetic field lines will curve around the wire, with the direction of the field determined by the right-hand rule.

4. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a bent infinite wire?

The strength of the magnetic field in a bent infinite wire is affected by the current flowing through the wire, the distance from the wire, and the angle at which the wire is bent. The strength of the magnetic field also decreases with distance from the wire.

5. How is the magnetic field of a bent infinite wire calculated?

The magnetic field of a bent infinite wire can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which relates the magnetic field at a point to the current flowing through an infinitesimal element of the wire, the distance from that element, and the angle at which the wire is bent. It can also be calculated using the right-hand rule for determining the direction of the field.