Magnetic field of a Coaxial Cable

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
evanclear
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A long coaxial cable consists of two concentric conductors with dimensions a = 1.20 cm, b = 5.40 cm and c = 7.30 cm. There are equal and opposite currents of 5.00 A in the conductors. Find the magnitude of the magnetic field at a distance of 0.36 cm from the center axis.

Homework Equations



[itex]\oint[/itex]B*dl=μ_0*I_enclosed


The Attempt at a Solution



Far as i can tell because the outer portion of the wire is not enclosed I enclosed for that portion of the problem is 0 so:

B=I*r[itex]/[/itex]2∏a2

But I'm not getting the right answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
 

Attachments

  • CoaxialCable.gif
    CoaxialCable.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 889
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
0.36cm is within the inner cable - just some fraction of the 5A current flow in the inner wire is enclosed in your integral.
You can assume that (electric) current density is constant in the wire.