1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field on the axis along the plane of loop

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circular loop in the XY plane of radius R and with current I moving in the counterclockwise direction. Compute B at (L,0,0) for L >> R0.

2. Relevant equations
    Biot–Savart law
    dB= μ0I/4∏ *(dl X r)/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the B on the axis perpendicular to the plane of loop is μ0IR^2/ [2*(z^2/+R^2)^(3/2)].
    But I don't know how to solve the problem when it is on the axis of the plane of loop. Thanks for any helps

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi wytang! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    set up the integral of the biot-savart law, integrating wrt θ …

what do you get? :smile:

(L >> R means that at some stage it'll be ok to ignore the y components :wink:)

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3
    Re: welcome to pf!

tiny-tim, I tried to work out the problem myself out of curiosity. I know that usually, the z component is all that is asked.

I may be wrong, but it seems that the only thing to change was the denominator. I found that dB = μ0I/4∏ *(dl X r)/r^2 = μ0I/4∏ *(dl)r^2, and the x component of dB is μ0I/4∏ *(dl * R)/r^2 where R is the radius of the loop and r is the distance from it (the original poster uses L).

So then is seems that r = (R^2 + (r + R)^2). Integration of dl gives us 2piR. So the final answer that I have is μIR^2/2((r+R)^2 + R^2)^3/2). Is this work correct, or am I missing something?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook