Magnetic field produced by a current

In summary, Carl tried to solve an equation for flux density but did not get the results he was expecting. He was unclear about what was being measured and why the results differed from his experimental results.
carl binney

Homework Statement

IMG_1081.JPG
this is the equation for flux density we have been given, the radius 30mm, z= goes in stages of 10mm, from zero to 50mm, then from zero to -50mm. that symbol at the begin of equation is 4 pie ! and the current is 5 amps. its is for a single-loop coil

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried the equation and the answer is nothing like my experimental results. which is 6.2 mV, at 10mm.
IMG_1082.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1082.JPG
    IMG_1082.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the basic formulas I've learned is that that magnet flux density can be expressed as:
β = μ0*I*n/2πr
Where μ0 is the permeability vacu vacuum, n as the numbers of the turn of the coil and r is the distance to the coil :)

thanks, but i missed something out the question, the equation is for single-loop coil

Yep, that's the equation for singlz loops,
Eitherway you've got 0.003 voltage difference and unfortunately these things happens due to many errors, one of them is that we're not living in the vacuum, :)

Hello Carl, welcome to PF :smile: !

Please read the guidelines . You get better help if you present a clear and concise problem.
What is this about ?
What are the relevant equations ?

Apparently you are measuring something in terms of mV.
What does that have to do with the magnetic field B ?

Also your calculations should be typed (or better: typeset). But your picture does come through clearly. Pity you don't have ##r^2## in the numerator, and it's totally unclear to me why you have ##30^2## and not ##(10^{-3})^2## in the denominator. Also, the ##10^2## should be ##(10\times 10^{-3})^2##

thanks again, I might seem stupid, I have only done physics since Christmas , I can't see how there is only a 0.003 voltage difference ?

Oh, and ##\mu_0 = 4\pi \times 10^{-7}## N/A2, not just ##4\pi##.

IMG_1084.JPG
hi thanks for the advice every one, 0.01 is in the equation because the first measurement of the magnetic field was measured 10 mm away from the centre of the single loop coil, is this equation correct ?

I get that too. Now check that you get the right units.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that surrounds a magnet or a current-carrying wire. It is also responsible for the attraction or repulsion between magnets and electrically charged particles.

How is a magnetic field produced by a current?

A current flowing through a wire produces a magnetic field around the wire. This is because the moving electric charges in the wire create a circular magnetic field that is perpendicular to the direction of the current.

What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field produced by a current?

The strength of a magnetic field produced by a current is affected by the magnitude of the current, the distance from the wire, and the material surrounding the wire. The closer the wire, the stronger the magnetic field will be. A larger current or a material with higher magnetic permeability will also result in a stronger magnetic field.

How can the direction of a magnetic field produced by a current be determined?

The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of a magnetic field produced by a current. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, your curled fingers will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

What are some applications of a magnetic field produced by a current?

Magnetic fields produced by currents have many practical applications, including electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. They are also used in particle accelerators, speakers, and magnetic levitation trains.