1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field square wire loop

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A current I is flowing in a square wire loop of side a. Find the approximate value of the magnetic field intensity magnitude at the point P, which is near to one of the corners in the plane of the square at the same d distance from the near two sides! (d<<a).

2. Relevant equations

I would guess biot and savarts law or formula of magnetic field on a straight current carrying conductor.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought like this: B=2*I*u0/(2*pi*d)=2I*u0/(pi*d). That would be twice the magnetic field of an infinite long current conducting wire. But that was wrong and I don't know why.. Any help would be greatly appretiated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi faen! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    ok, following that line of thought …

add an identical square loop, sharing that corner with the first loop

that's (effectively) two infinite straight wires, and so your formula would give the correct result for it

you now propose to divide by 2, but do you really think that the new square has as great a field at the given point as the old square? :wink:

start again, using the formula for a finite straight wire :smile:

(find that formula from the biot-savart law if you don't already know it)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook