Magnetic fields and wire current

In summary: For the second question, the formula would be?qVB sin(90) = mv^2/rqVB = mv^2/rr = (mv^2)/(qVB)r = (19.93*(2.86e5^2))/((1.6e-19)(1e5)(0.1)) = 38.29 m
xeannart
Magnetic fields (urgent)

Hello, I'm in trouble, I have no idea what to do/look for the formula to solve these 2 questions.

Please help and guide

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A straight wire has a current of 15 A vertically upwards, in a vacuum. An electron, presently 0.10 m from the wire moves at a speed of 5.0 x 106 m/s. Its instantaneous velocity is parallel to the wire but downward. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the force on the electron. Will this force remain constant?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A singly ionized atom of mass 3.9 x 10-25 kg is accelerated through a potential difference of 1.0 x 105 V.

a) Calculate its maximum speed.
b) What is the radius of the path it would take if injected at this speed and at 90 degrees into a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.10 T?

Physics news on Phys.org
xeannart said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A straight wire has a current of 15 A vertically upwards, in a vacuum. An electron, presently 0.10 m from the wire moves at a speed of 5.0 x 106 m/s. Its instantaneous velocity is parallel to the wire but downward. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the force on the electron. Will this force remain constant?

What you need here is to find the force exerted on the electron which is given by? (Hint: Force exerted on a charged particle(Q) moving with a velocity(v) in a magnetic field(B))
What is the formula for the magnetic field around a long straight current carrying conductor?
xeannart said:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A singly ionized atom of mass 3.9 x 10-25 kg is accelerated through a potential difference of 1.0 x 105 V.

a) Calculate its maximum speed.
b) What is the radius of the path it would take if injected at this speed and at 90 degrees into a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.10 T?
For this one...All the energy supplied by the p.d. goes into increasing the kinetic energy of the ions. (I am assuming that this is a mass spec. thing)

rock.freak667 said:
What you need here is to find the force exerted on the electron which is given by? (Hint: Force exerted on a charged particle(Q) moving with a velocity(v) in a magnetic field(B))
What is the formula for the magnetic field around a long straight current carrying conductor?

For this one...All the energy supplied by the p.d. goes into increasing the kinetic energy of the ions. (I am assuming that this is a mass spec. thing)

For the first question it's these 2 equations right?
B = m(I/(2pi*r))
F = qVB*Sin(90)

I can plug the values in, but I'm missing mu (m). can anyone tell me it?

For the 2nd question, it's the centrepedial force equals the force of the electrons right?

qVB sin(90) = mv^2/r

mu is 4*pi*10^-7.

For the second one, you seem to be on track with it.

All of which is in your text!
Edmund

So for the first question the math is like this

B = m(I/(2pi*r))
B = 4*pi*e-7(15/(2pi*0.1)) = 3e-5
F = qVB*Sin(90)
F = (1.6e-19)(5e6)(3e-5)(1) = 2.4e-17 N

And so if upward is positive, this would point upward?For the second question, the math would be like this?
a)
(1/2)mv^2 = Vq
v = 2.86e5

b)
qVB sin(90) = mv^2/r
qVB = mv^2/r
r = (mv^2)/(qVB)
r = (3.9e-25*(2.86e5^2))/((1.6e-19)(1e5)(0.1)) = 19.93 m

please check...

Oh i was wondering is mu a constant? where does this number (4*pi*e-7) come from?
V in qVB is speed right?

Last edited:
[itex]\mu_0[/itex] is called the permeability of free space, a defined constant.
It is not measured, it's defined as: [itex]\mu_0 = 4 \pi \times 10^{-7}[/itex]

It is also related to the vacuum permittivity [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] and the speed of light in a vacuum [itex]c_0[/itex]:
[tex]c_0^2 \mu_0 \epsilon_0 = 1[/tex]

Nick89 said:
[itex]\mu_0[/itex] is called the permeability of free space, a defined constant.
It is not measured, it's defined as: [itex]\mu_0 = 4 \pi \times 10^{-7}[/itex]

It is also related to the vacuum permittivity [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] and the speed of light in a vacuum [itex]c_0[/itex]:
[tex]c_0^2 \mu_0 \epsilon_0 = 1[/tex]

ahh i c. thx

for question 1, do we need to find the values for V using qVB=(1/2)mv^2/r before pluging it into F = qVB??

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces are exerted on charged particles. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in a wire current.

How do magnetic fields interact with wire currents?

When a wire carries an electric current, a magnetic field is created around the wire. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the wire.

What is the right-hand rule in relation to magnetic fields and wire currents?

The right-hand rule is a way to determine the direction of the magnetic field around a wire carrying current. It states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

Can magnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, magnetic fields can be shielded or blocked using materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron or steel. These materials redirect the magnetic field around them, reducing its strength.

How are magnetic fields and wire currents used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields and wire currents are used in many everyday devices, such as motors, generators, and speakers. They also play a crucial role in power transmission and in medical imaging techniques like MRI.