1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculation of Change in Magnetic Flux Linkage Across a Wire

1. Jul 13, 2018 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A straight wire of length 0.20m moves at a steady speed of 3.0m/s at right angles to a magnetic filed of flux density 0.10T. Use Faraday's law to determine the e.m.f. induced across the ends of a wire.

2. Relevant equations
    E= Nd Φ/dt but N=1 so E= dΦ/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution offered in the book:

Φ=BA
    dΦ = BdA
    dΦ/dt=B*dA/dt
    dΦ/dt=0.10*Area moved by the length of the wire in 1 second (??)
    dΦ/dt=0.10*3.0*0.20=0.06

E=0.06V

Now I understand that since the conductor is moving in a magnetic field, electrons experience a force and a charge separation occurs giving rise to an e.m.f. across the wire... By Faraday's law, this e.m.f. is equal (in this case) to dΦ/dt but here's the problem... I do not see how a wire cutting a uniform magnetic field experiences a change in magnetic flux. Its area is constant and magnetic flux density is constant so the magnetic flux felt by the wire Φ=BA is constant. The solution used the area covered by the wire which seems to me very irrelevant.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2018 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Faraday refers to a loop, not a piece of wire. Draw an imaginary rectangular loop behind the wire, with the other end of the loop not in the B field, to get the answer using Faraday. dA/dt is the rate of change of the area in the loop covered by the flux. It can be + or -.

Actually, using Faraday with moving media such as your wire is dangerous. Better to use the Blv law based on the Lorentz force q v x B:
    emf = Blv, l = length of wire, v = velocity of wire. Forget about loops.

4. Jul 13, 2018 #3
    I understand. Thank you sir

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted