1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic flux linkage and area as a vector

1. Dec 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circular coil of diameter 24 mm has 40 turns. The coil is placed in a uniform magnetic field of flux density 85 mT with its plane perpendicular to the field lines.

a) i Calculate the area of the coil

ii The flux linkage through the coil.

b) The coil was reversed in a time of 95 ms.

Calculate

i the change of flux linkage through the coil.

ii the magnitude of the induced emf

2. Relevant equations
    Flux linkage = NBA
    EMF = rate of change of flux linkage

3. The attempt at a solution

Part a I am ok with ai) area = 4.5x10^-4 and flux linkage is BNA = 1.53 mWb
    In part b I struggled to see why the answer was 3.06 mWb and not a change of 1.53 to zero as it rotated.
    my logic being that it changes from 1.53 to zero as it rotated for the first 90 degrees then back to 1.53.

I remember reading area is a vector so if this is true does it mean the flux linkage is changing from 1.53 mWb to -1.53 mWb, This would give me the correct answer in the back of the text book.

Is there anyway of seeing this without knowing that area is a vector as this is not in the text book as a principle taught on my course.

Thanks you for any help
    Jimmy summary question.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2014 #2
    I have just made the connection with my data sheet and the formula BANcos(theta)
    Then the angle between a normal to the coil and the field with give the necessary change of sign on rotation through 180 degrees.
    Is there any way of simply explaining why the area that the field lines cut changes as a cos function as the coil is rotated?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted