1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding Lenz' Law as it applies to a magnet falling in a tube

1. Apr 15, 2014 #1
    Hi All! This is my first question/post here, so I will try to make it work!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, so the question is simple-ish.

2. Relevant equations

Faradays Law (ε=-NΔΘ/ΔT)

3. The attempt at a solution

Now, I understand the concept that as the magnet is falling towards the coil, the coil is cutting through the magnetic flux at a faster and faster rate (and from the equation, must result in a negative EMF that goes more negative).

I also understand that when the magnet is at the middle of the coil, the rate of flux cutting is the same on both sides of the magnet (and thus EMF is instantaneously zero) and, afterwards, the emf is positive as the rate of flux linkage is actually negative (as the magnet is moving away from the coil).

In terms of Lenz' law, I understand that initially, a current will be induced in the coil so as to counteract the motion of the magnet (which is causing the flux linkage). This force will act upwards against the magnet as the magnet falls into the coil initially (and thus the EMF will be somewhat lower than the value without Lenz' law).

What I can't seem to understand is how to rationalise the direction of the Lenz' Law "force" on the magnet after it has passed through the centre of the coil. I presume that since the rate of flux linkage is decreasing, and this is caused by the downward motion of the magnet, the force from the current will act upward to counteract this downward motion. However I do not get how this therefore means that the peak magnitude of the EMF in the second "portion" of the magnet's fall is higher than the peak magnitude of the EMF in the first "portion" of the magnet's fall (as the graph demonstrates). Any help here would be very greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Bob12321 :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2014 #2
    May be the magnet wasn't moving at constant speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted