1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic flux outside cylindrical conductor

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    Hey everyone,

I have failed to show that the magnetic flux outside a cylindrical conductor is zero.

The problem goes like this:

a coaxial cable consists of a solid inner cylindrical conductor of radius a and an outer cylindrical conductor of inner and outer radius b and c. Distributed currents of equal magnitude I flow in opposite directions in the two conductors. Derive expressions for the magnetic flux density B(r) for each of these regions

1) 0<r <a

by amperes law I showed: [tex] B = \frac {K *l*r} {2*pi*a^2} [/tex]

where K is the permeability of free space, don't know how to write that with latex

2) a<r<b

again by amperes law: [tex] B = \frac {K *l} {2*pi*r} [/tex]

3) b<r<c

again by amperes law: [tex] B = \frac {K *l*(r^2-b^2)} {2*pi*r*(c^2-b^2)} [/tex]

4) c<r

I got stuck here, surely it must be zero....but how can that be shown?

thanks for your help - it's very much appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

With the coaxial cable coming out of the paper at you, draw a circular closed path around the outside of it.

INTEG[B dot dL] around that closed path = mu * I(enclosed)

The total I enclosed by the circle is zero, since the current up the inner conductor is the same as the current down the outer conductor, so B (or H) has to be identically zero everywhere outside the coax.

Edit -- BTW, check your answer for (3). When r=c, you should get zero for H.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  4. Jan 26, 2006 #3
    Thanks Berkeman - that's explained it and it's very much appreciated!! :-) As for the third one it surely has to be (c^2-r^2)/(c^2-b^2)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?