Magnitude of a ball's Acceleration

In summary, a 0.17-kg cue ball is struck by a 13N force in the x-direction and a 21N force in the y-direction. Using the equations for acceleration, the resulting acceleration components are ax = 76.47m/s2 and ay = 123.53m/s2. The magnitude of the net force and angle with respect to the x-axis are calculated to be 24.7N and 58.24°, respectively. The magnitude of the ball's acceleration is found to be 145m/s2, rounded to two significant figures.
PhysicsHelp152

Homework Statement

A 0.17-kg cue ball rests on the pool table. It's struck by a cue stick applying force F1→ = 13Ni^+21Nj^
Determine the magnitude of the ball's acceleration.

Homework Equations

ax = Fnet, x / m
ay = Fnet, y / m
a = Fnet / m

The Attempt at a Solution

Components of Acceleration:
ax = 13Ni^ / 0.17kg = 76.47m/s2

ay = 21Nj^ / 0.17kg = 123.53m/s2

Magnitude:
Fnet = √(13Ni^)2 * (21Nj^)2 = 24.7N

angle θ = tan-1 * (21N / 13N) = 58.24° above the + x-axis (fixed. see replies below)

Acceleration's Magnitude:
a = Fnet / m = 24.7N / 0.17kg = 145.29m/s2 or 145m/s2 rounded

I feel like this should be the answer, or that I'm very close to the answer. Am I missing a step? Did I do something wrong? Am I way off?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PhysicsHelp152, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Your work and results look fine except for the angle. Take another look at which component is which for the arctan function to find the angle w.r.t. the x-axis.

Is this the correct angle?
θ = tan-1 * (21N / 13N) = 58.24° (fixed. see replies below)

Also, the magnitude of the ball's acceleration is indeed 145m/s2?
I ask because apparently it isn't correct? I answer my questions online and I get 5 tries to get it right. I only have one try left and I already tried 145m/s2.

Last edited:
PhysicsHelp152 said:
Is this the correct angle?
θ = tan-1 * (21Ni^ / 13Nj^) = 58.24°
Yes, that looks better. But don't include the axis unit vectors in the formula: you're taking a ratio of component values, not vector quantities. Besides, the x-component is generally designated by the ##\hat{i}## unit vector, and the y-component by the ##\hat{j}## unit vector, and you seem to have swapped the components of the force vector by using "21Ni^" and "13Nj^".
Also, the magnitude of the ball's acceleration is indeed 145m/s2?
I ask because apparently it isn't correct? I answer my questions online and I get 5 tries to get it right. I only have one try left and I already tried 145m/s2.
Your calculation looks fine. You may be getting hit by significant figures. How many sig figs in the given information?

gneill said:
Your calculation looks fine. You may be getting hit by significant figures. How many sig figs in the given information?

There are 2 sig figs in the given information... I think. So my answer should be two sig figs?
But what would the answer be then?

1. What is the magnitude of a ball's acceleration?

The magnitude of a ball's acceleration is the measure of how fast the ball's velocity changes over time. It is represented by the absolute value of the ball's acceleration vector.

2. How is the magnitude of a ball's acceleration calculated?

The magnitude of a ball's acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v/t, where a is acceleration, v is velocity, and t is time. It can also be calculated by finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the ball's acceleration components in each direction.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and direction of a ball's acceleration?

The magnitude of a ball's acceleration refers to the size or amount of acceleration, while the direction of a ball's acceleration refers to the angle or direction in which the ball is accelerating. Both magnitude and direction are necessary to fully describe a ball's acceleration.

4. Can the magnitude of a ball's acceleration be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of a ball's acceleration can be negative. This occurs when the ball is decelerating, or slowing down, in the direction of its motion. However, the magnitude is always represented as a positive value.

5. How does the magnitude of a ball's acceleration affect its motion?

The greater the magnitude of a ball's acceleration, the faster its speed changes and the more dramatic its motion will be. A larger magnitude of acceleration will result in a greater change in velocity and therefore a greater change in position over time.