1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual question about newton second law

1. May 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are two forces on the 2.08 kg box. F1 is 20.5N. acceleration is happening in the third quadrant with a magnitude of 12.1m/s^2 and with an angle of 25.9 (in the third quadrant). Find the second force in vector notation.

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    My question is this. In the picture, the acceleration is occuring at the third quadrant. So I assume that the second force will have negative x and y components, because acceleration has also negative x and y components in that quadrant. So for the x-component of the acceleration, I used F1-F2=m(-acos(25.9)) so F2=m(acos(25.9)+F1. I am assuming acceleration is negative because it is pointing down. in the solution, it tells me that I should use instead F1+F2=ma. But why is there a + sign in F2? since F2 will point in the opposite direction of F1, shouldn't there be a negative sign for F2 instead?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2016 #2
    Shouldn't the sum of Fx1 and Fx2 = m ax, for example, where F1 and F2 are vectors?
    The scalar components of these vectors may have negative signs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted