Conceptual question about Newton second law

In summary, two forces are acting on a 2.08 kg box, with F1 being 20.5N. The acceleration is occurring in the third quadrant with a magnitude of 12.1m/s^2 and an angle of 25.9 degrees. To find the second force in vector notation, the net force equation Fnet=ma is used. There is a question about the direction of the second force, as the acceleration is negative in the third quadrant. The solution suggests using F1+F2=ma, but the questioner believes there should be a negative sign for F2 instead.
edgarpokemon

Homework Statement

There are two forces on the 2.08 kg box. F1 is 20.5N. acceleration is happening in the third quadrant with a magnitude of 12.1m/s^2 and with an angle of 25.9 (in the third quadrant). Find the second force in vector notation.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is this. In the picture, the acceleration is occurring at the third quadrant. So I assume that the second force will have negative x and y components, because acceleration has also negative x and y components in that quadrant. So for the x-component of the acceleration, I used F1-F2=m(-acos(25.9)) so F2=m(acos(25.9)+F1. I am assuming acceleration is negative because it is pointing down. in the solution, it tells me that I should use instead F1+F2=ma. But why is there a + sign in F2? since F2 will point in the opposite direction of F1, shouldn't there be a negative sign for F2 instead?

Attachments

• fig05_32.gif
    fig05_32.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't the sum of Fx1 and Fx2 = m ax, for example, where F1 and F2 are vectors?
The scalar components of these vectors may have negative signs.

1. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How does Newton's second law relate to everyday life?

Newton's second law can be observed in everyday life in actions such as pushing a shopping cart, riding a bicycle, or throwing a ball. In each of these scenarios, the force applied (pushing, pedaling, throwing) results in an acceleration of the object (cart, bike, ball).

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's second law?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Newton's second law relates to mass, as it states that acceleration is inversely proportional to mass. Weight, on the other hand, is not directly mentioned in the law.

4. Can Newton's second law be applied to objects in space?

Yes, Newton's second law can be applied to objects in space. In fact, it was first developed to explain the motion of objects in space. In the absence of air resistance and other external forces, an object's acceleration in space can be calculated using Newton's second law.

5. What is the role of inertia in Newton's second law?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In Newton's second law, mass plays a role in inertia, as objects with greater mass have greater inertia and require more force to accelerate. This is why it is easier to push a shopping cart than a car, as the car has more mass and therefore more inertia.