Magnitude of acceleration problem

In summary, the problem involves a 3.0 kg body with two horizontal forces acting on it, one 9.0 N due east and the other 7.7 N at a 54° angle north of west. Using the correct trig functions and considering the direction of the forces, the magnitude of the body's acceleration is found using Newton's second law. The net acceleration is the vector sum of the x and y accelerations.
zjm7290
[SOLVED] Magnitude of acceleration problem

Homework Statement

Only two horizontal forces act on a 3.0 kg body that can move over a frictionless floor. One force is 9.0 N, acting due east, and the other is 7.7 N, acting 54° north of west. What is the magnitude of the body's acceleration?

Homework Equations

I know that in order to get net force, you would need to add all force vectors in the x and y direction giving you total forces in x direction then total forces in y direction. Then I would use the equation given by Newton's second law F (net)=m*a (net)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a drawing showing the 9.0N force in the east direction on the x axis, then the 7.7N force in the west direction 54 degrees above the x axis. I added all vectors in the x direction getting 9.0N + 7.7N*sin(54) which equals 15.229N in x direction. Then I added all vectors in y direction getting 0N + 7.7N*cos(54) which equals 4.256N in the y direction. After this, i used F=m*a to get acceleration in both x and y directions. This assignment uses web-assign (on-line pragram) which gives you 5 attempts at a solution before it counts it wrong. This assignment counts for a test grade and I'm on my final attempt. Any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that the only two problems you have here are:

1)Trig functions. You are using the wrong trig function in each case. Set up the triangles formed by the 7.7N vector and its components and you should see that you need to use cos(54) to find the x component and the sin(54) to find the y component.

2) Remember that if you let the 9.0N force be positive, the x component of the 7.7N force will have to be negative, since it points the opposite way.

so in the x direction I would have 9.0N + -7.7N*cos(54) and in the y direction I would have 0N + 7.7N*sin(54)? Or would I apply the negative sign after I figure out 7.7N*cos(54) since that's the total force in that direction with reference to the x axis

zjm7290 said:
so in the x direction I would have 9.0N + -7.7N*cos(54) and in the y direction I would have 0N + 7.7N*sin(54)? Or would I apply the negative sign after I figure out 7.7N*cos(54) since that's the total force in that direction with reference to the x axis

What you have written there is correct.

so I now get F (net) in x direction = 4.474N and F(net) in y direction = 6.229N, I then use F=ma to get acceleration for both x and y directions so therefore the magnitude of acceleration in the system is a(net) in x direction + a(net) in y direction

remember that [tex]\vec{a}_{net x}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{a}_{net y}[/tex] are vectors and must be added like vectors. Otherwise, that is correct so far.

so you mean that since the 7.7N force is in the neg x direction, the acceleration in that same direction would also be negative?

zjm7290 said:
so you mean that since the 7.7N force is in the neg x direction, the acceleration in that same direction would also be negative?

Yes, that is correct, but what I was trying to point out is that a(netx) point perpendicular to a(nety), so you can't just add them like real numbers. You have to use the Pythagorean Theorem.

so basically the net accelelration is the vector quantity of where the end of one force connects to the other or the last line that would complete the triangle that would show the total force vectors in the system?

Yes, it is the vector sum of the x and y accelerations.

thanks so much for all the help!

No problem!

1. What is the magnitude of acceleration problem?

The magnitude of acceleration problem is a concept in physics that refers to the measurement of the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) and is represented by the symbol "a". This problem is important in understanding the motion of objects and how they respond to forces.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of acceleration?

To calculate the magnitude of acceleration, you need to know the change in velocity of an object over a certain period of time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where "a" is acceleration, "vf" is final velocity, "vi" is initial velocity, and "t" is time.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of acceleration?

The magnitude of acceleration can be affected by several factors, including the force applied to an object, the mass of the object, and any external factors such as friction or air resistance. The direction of the force also plays a role in determining the magnitude of acceleration.

4. How does the magnitude of acceleration relate to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the net force on an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the greater the mass of an object, the lower its acceleration will be.

5. Why is understanding the magnitude of acceleration important in real-world applications?

Understanding the magnitude of acceleration is crucial in various real-world applications, such as designing vehicles and structures, predicting the motion of objects, and analyzing the effects of forces on objects. It also plays a significant role in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and sports science.