Statics problem on the resolution of forces

• Thread starter CIA16
  • Start date
CIA16
Homework Statement
I've tried solving the question and was stuck after creating an equation. I think my approach was wrong.
Relevant Equations
This is the equation I got when I resolved the forces and introduced the inequality symbol.
Here is my interpretation of the question. Three forces are applied to a bracket such that a 500N force acts at 30 degrees to the horizontal on the negative x-axis, while a 150N force acts at θ to the negative x-axis and another 150N force acts at 50+θ to the negative x-axis. The directions of the two 150N forces may vary, but the angle between the forces is always 50. Determine the range of theta values for which the magnitude of the resultant force acting at the bracket is less than 600N.
I already resolved the forces and introduced the inequality:
$$\sqrt{(-500 \cos(30) - 150 \cos(x) - 150 \cos(50 + x))^2 + (500 \sin(30) - 150 \sin(x) - 150 \sin(50 + x))^2}<600$$

Attachments

• photo_2023-08-25_11-44-50.jpg
    photo_2023-08-25_11-44-50.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CIA16 said:
Homework Statement: I've tried solving the question and was stuck after creating an equation. I think my approach was wrong.
Relevant Equations: ...

Here is my interpretation of the question. Three forces are applied to a bracket such that a 500N force acts at 30 degrees to the horizontal on the negative x-axis, while a 150N force acts at θ to the negative x-axis and another 150N force acts at 50+θ to the negative x-axis. The directions of the two 150N forces may vary, but the angle between the forces is always 50. Determine the range of theta values for which the magnitude of the resultant force acting at the bracket is less than 600N.
Per homework forum rules you must show us your attempt to receive help. We are to guide you to finding the solution, not hand it to you.

CIA16 said:
Homework Statement: I've tried solving the question and was stuck after creating an equation. I think my approach was wrong.
Relevant Equations: ...

Let's see what you've done so far.

Chestermiller said:
Let's see what you've done so far.
1693067198963.png

I resolved the forces and came up with this equation. Here is where I got stuck.

CIA16 said:
View attachment 331056
I resolved the forces and came up with this equation. Here is where I got stuck.
Your force components seem to be consistent with ##\rightarrow ^+## and ##\uparrow^+##: So at this point it's a math problem. Have you tried expanding and collecting like terms, and/or perhaps applying sum-difference formulas to the trigonometric entities?

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller
I see one little problem in order to exactly determine the highest value of the angular range in this question:

"Determine the range values of angle alpha for which the magnitude of the resultant of the forces acting at A is less than 600 N."

How far the two 150 N forces can be rotated CCW before the wall interferes with the nearest to it?

I have assumed that the limit position for that force is the vertical, resulting in 40 degrees, after a graphical scaled representation.

Lnewqban said:
I see one little problem in order to exactly determine the highest value of the angular range in this question:

"Determine the range values of angle alpha for which the magnitude of the resultant of the forces acting at A is less than 600 N."

How far the two 150 N forces can be rotated CCW before the wall interferes with the nearest to it?

I have assumed that the limit position for that force is the vertical, resulting in 40 degrees, after a graphical scaled representation.
I'll say we go along with your assumption.

CIA16 said:
Either that or make the arrows smaller so they don't bump the wall. Is the force of gravity involved in this at all ?

hmmm27 said:
Either that or make the arrows smaller so they don't bump the wall. Is the force of gravity involved in this at all ?
I don't think so. It's a statics problem that I think focuses solely on the resolution aspect.

CIA16 said:
In that case, please see the attachment, which may help you simplify the equation you came up with in post #4.

Attachments

• Resultant force.pdf
    16.4 KB · Views: 42
First, replace the two 150N forces with their resultant. You can find the magnitude and direction easily enough.
Second, get rid of the surd by squaring. Take a moment to think about what that does to the “<".
Third, expand the squares. You should get some simplification.
If you are still stuck, post what you get.

Likes Chestermiller
Lnewqban said:
In that case, please see the attachment, which may help you simplify the equation you came up with in post #4.
In your attachment, you got 27 degrees for alpha. How did you do that? Can you please show how you got the free-body diagram as well.

CIA16 said:
In your attachment, you got 27 degrees for alpha. How did you do that? Can you please show how you got the free-body diagram as well.
Please try the plan in post #11.

haruspex said:
Please try the plan in post #11.
The resultant is 271.89N and the direction is 45°

CIA16 said:
The resultant is 271.89N and the direction is 45°
Correct magnitude, wrong angle.

haruspex said:
Correct magnitude, wrong angle.
well, arctan(150/150) gives 45°. Is there something I'm missing? Quadrants?

CIA16 said:
well, arctan(150/150) gives 45°. Is there something I'm missing? Quadrants?
That formula would be for two forces at right angles, one vertical, one horizontal.

haruspex said:
First, replace the two 150N forces with their resultant. You can find the magnitude and direction easily enough.
Second, get rid of the surd by squaring. Take a moment to think about what that does to the “<".
Third, expand the squares. You should get some simplification.
If you are still stuck, post what you get.
I like very much your idea of first getting the resultant of the two 150 N forces. This resultant is at an angle of ##\alpha +25## to the horizontal downward. Then the resultant can be parallel translated so that its tail is at the head of the 500 N force and it forms an angle of ##180-(\alpha+55)## degrees with the 150 N force. The resultant can then be determined using the law oof cosines.

haruspex said:
That formula would be for two forces at right angles, one vertical, one horizontal.
Yeah, I've seen my mistake. $$\theta = \tan^{-1}\left(\frac{F_2\sin(\theta)}{F_1 + F_2\cos(\theta)}\right)$$
gives $\theta$ to be equal to 25°. Then adding that to 30 for 500N and $\alpha$ is 55° + $\alpha$. If we find the resultant of that as well and introduce the inequality, after squaring both sides, we get $\alpha$ to be equal to 27.4°. But there's one more solution which should yield 223° and I'm not getting that.

1. What is the purpose of resolving forces in statics problems?

Resolving forces in statics problems allows us to break down a single force into its horizontal and vertical components, making it easier to analyze and understand the overall forces acting on an object or structure.

2. How do you resolve forces in statics problems?

To resolve forces, we use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the horizontal and vertical components of a force. We can then use these components to calculate the overall magnitude and direction of the force.

3. Can you resolve more than one force at a time?

Yes, we can resolve multiple forces at a time by breaking each force down into its components and then adding or subtracting the components to find the overall force acting on an object or structure.

4. What is the difference between resolving forces and balancing forces?

Resolving forces involves breaking down a single force into its components, while balancing forces involves finding the overall force acting on an object or structure and ensuring that it is in equilibrium (i.e. the sum of all forces is equal to zero).

5. Can you resolve forces in three dimensions?

Yes, we can resolve forces in three dimensions by using vector components in the x, y, and z directions. This allows us to analyze forces acting in any direction and find the overall resultant force acting on an object or structure.