Magnitude of force on electron in magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
jaydnul
Messages
558
Reaction score
15

Homework Statement


An electron in a vacuum is first accelerated by a voltage of 41300 V and then enters a region in which there is a uniform magnetic field of .145 T at right angles to the direction of the electron's motion.

What is the magnitude of the force on the electron due to the magnetic field?

Homework Equations


[itex]F=qvBsinθ[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


At first I though the 41300 V was just a number to throw me off (they do that a lot), but now I think it is important. I know the charge, magnetic field, and sin90=1. So the only thing I'm missing is velocity, but I have no clue how to calculate that from the information I was given. Any help?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the energy of an electron by using qV = U, where U is the Kinetic Energy of the particle. Then it's just a matter of solving for v from the KE equation.

EDIT: I should point out that the energy will be in eV, which you can then just use a conversion factor to get it into joules.