Electrostatics? Magnitude and direction of a magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Sandro Romualdez

Homework Statement


A force of 2.4N is exerted on a -1.8µC charge in a downward direction. What is the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at this point?

(The assignment sheet is called "Electrostatics Questions", hence the "Electrostatics?" in the title)

Homework Equations


Electric Field Intensity Vector:[/B]
ε = F/q

Pertaining to Magnetic Fields:
F = qvBsinθ

B = µoI / Δl

The Attempt at a Solution


I was just wondering how I should tackle this question. The title of the assignment sheet is Electrostatics questions and at this point we had not yet studied magnetic fields. Does the electric field formula apply to this equation or how should I proceed with the question?

If the question can be solved with the electric field equations, I'll be able to solve it, as it is simple math. I just need help in understanding which equation to use here.

If the question should be solved with Magnetic Field equations, is the "magnitude and direction of the magnetic field" that the question asks for the value of B (Field strength)? The question also seems to be missing some values if trying to solve via the magnetic field equations?

Thanks for any help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It would appear the question contains a "typo" and should say "electric field" instead of "magnetic field."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sandro Romualdez
Charles Link said:
It would appear the question contains a "typo" and should say "electric field" instead of "magnetic field."
Thanks for the answer, I'll ask my physics teacher tomorrow. This question has been bugging me for the whole day haha
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Charles Link
Could be a B field satisfying 2.4 = q(vxBz - vzBx)
v=velocity
where F = -2.4 j :smile:
But, for the record, I agree with post 2.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sandro Romualdez and Charles Link
rude man said:
Could be a B field satisfying 2.4 = q(vxBz - vzBx)
v=velocity
where F = -2.4 j :smile:
But, for the record, I agree with post 2.
Thanks for the reply, it did end up being a typo haha