Magnitude of initial acceleration

In summary, to find the magnitude of the initial acceleration of a 67 g particle released from rest at 89 cm from a second particle of charge -10 microC, we can use Coulomb's Law and Newton's 2nd Law to determine that the electric force is the net force acting on the particle. Setting this equal to the mass multiplied by the acceleration and solving for "a" will give us the desired magnitude. Don't forget to convert units.
sonastylol
[SOLVED] Magnitude of initial acceleration

Homework Statement

A particle of mass 67 g and charge 25 microC is released from rest when it is 89 cm from a second particle of charge -10 microC. Determine the magnitude of the initial acceleration of the 67 g particle. Answer in units of (m/s)^2.

I understand how to find magnitude of vectors but I don't even know where to start with this one..

Can someone please give me a detailed push in the right direction? Thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
You know Coulomb's Law:

[tex] F_E = \frac{k*q*q'}{r^2} [/tex]

And you know Newton's 2nd Law:

[tex] F_{NET} = ma [/tex]

If the electric force is the net force, what is the relation between these two equations?

to be honest I am not sure what the answer to:

If the electric force is the net force, what is the relation between these two equations?

we only just barely learned those equations, and i haven't seen any type of sample problem close to this one...

I don't know where to start, even with your help..

Thanks again

The only force acting on the 25microC charge is the electric force FE, and thus the electric force IS the net force on the charge in question. So we have:

[tex] \frac{k*q*q'}{r^2} = ma [/tex]

You know the magnitude and signs of each charge, you know the value of the constant "k," you know the distance between the two charges "r," and you know the mass of the charge in question. Now all you have to do is solve the above equation for the acceleration "a." Don't forget to convert the charges to Coulombs, the mass to kilograms, and the distance to meters. Does this help?

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of magnitude of initial acceleration?

The magnitude of initial acceleration is the numerical value of the acceleration at the start of a motion, without considering its direction. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed changes over time, and is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is the magnitude of initial acceleration different from average acceleration?

The magnitude of initial acceleration only considers the acceleration at the beginning of a motion, while average acceleration takes into account the acceleration throughout the entire duration of the motion. Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, while magnitude of initial acceleration is simply the initial acceleration value.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of initial acceleration?

The magnitude of initial acceleration can be affected by several factors, including the force applied to the object, the mass of the object, and any external factors such as friction or air resistance. The direction of the initial velocity can also have an impact on the magnitude of initial acceleration.

4. How is the magnitude of initial acceleration measured?

The magnitude of initial acceleration can be measured using various methods, such as using a motion sensor or by analyzing the change in an object's velocity over a specific time interval. It can also be calculated using the equations of motion, depending on the known variables.

5. Why is the magnitude of initial acceleration important in physics?

The magnitude of initial acceleration is an important concept in physics because it helps to describe the motion of objects and how they respond to forces. It is also a key component in determining the total acceleration of an object, which can be used to predict its future motion and behavior.