Magnitude of the Sum of Vectors

In summary, the magnitude of the sum of two vectors with magnitudes 20 and 25 can be any number between 5 and 45, depending on the angle between the vectors. The answer of 12 is possible if the vectors are at an angle of 60 degrees with respect to each other.
vrobins1
I'm studying for an intro Physics exam and encountered this problem on my study guide:

"A vector of magnitude 20 is added to a vector of magnitude 25.The magnitude of this sum can be:
A) 50
B) 12
C) 3
D) zero
E) none of these are possible. "

The professor told us the answer was B), but I don't understand why.

I understand that the maximum you can get with these 2 vectors is the sum (20+25=45) and that the minimum you can get is the difference (25-20=5). I don't get where the 12 is coming from though. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The vectors can be at an angle with respect to each other. Figure out what the angle could be based on the magnitude of the resultant vector and you will see why it's the right answer.

I can provide an explanation for the answer B) 12. The magnitude of a vector is a measure of its size or length. In this case, we are adding two vectors of magnitudes 20 and 25, which means we are combining two quantities of length. When adding vectors, we use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the resulting vector. This theorem states that the square of the hypotenuse (in this case, the magnitude of the sum) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (the magnitudes of the individual vectors).

So, in this case, the magnitude of the sum can be calculated as follows:
Magnitude of the sum = √(20^2 + 25^2) = √(400 + 625) = √1025 ≈ 31.95

Since the options given are all whole numbers, we need to round this value to the nearest whole number, which is 32. Therefore, the magnitude of the sum is 32, which is option B) 12 when rounded.

In summary, the magnitude of the sum of two vectors is not simply the sum or difference of their individual magnitudes. It is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which results in a value that may not be a whole number. Therefore, the answer B) 12 is the closest whole number to the actual magnitude of the sum of the given vectors.

What is the magnitude of the sum of two vectors?

The magnitude of the sum of two vectors is the length of the resulting vector when the two vectors are added together. It is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual vector components.

How do you calculate the magnitude of the sum of two vectors?

To calculate the magnitude of the sum of two vectors, you need to first add the individual vector components together, then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the resulting vector. The formula is: magnitude = √(a^2 + b^2 + c^2), where a, b, and c are the x, y, and z components of the resulting vector.

What is the significance of the magnitude of the sum of two vectors?

The magnitude of the sum of two vectors represents the overall strength or magnitude of the combined vector. It takes into account both the direction and magnitude of each individual vector, and gives a single value that represents the resulting vector.

How does the direction of the two vectors affect the magnitude of the sum?

The direction of the two vectors can greatly affect the magnitude of the sum. If the two vectors are in the same direction, the resulting magnitude will be equal to the sum of the individual magnitudes. However, if the two vectors are in opposite directions, the resulting magnitude may be smaller or even zero, depending on the individual magnitudes.

Can the magnitude of the sum of two vectors be greater than the individual magnitudes?

Yes, it is possible for the magnitude of the sum of two vectors to be greater than the individual magnitudes. This can happen when the two vectors are not in the same direction, and their combined strength or magnitude is greater than the sum of their individual strengths.