1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A vector of magnitude 20 is added to a vector of magnitude 25.

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A vector of magnitude 20 is added to a vector of magnitude 25. What could the magnitude of the sum be?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am given a list of choices. But, it seems to me like it could be just about anything, because I have no idea what the direction of both vectors are. Can anyone give me a place to start?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well, the best I can say is that there does exist a minimum magnitude the resultant vector could be and a maximum. Unless all but 1 answer is outside of this range, you would need more information.

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3
    True. If I assume they are in the exact same direction, I can have 45, which is the max. If I assume they are directly opposing, I get 5 as a minimum.

My choices are 50, 47, 3, 0, and 12. So it would seem 12 is correct?

5. Aug 29, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes, that is the only value that could possibly be attained by adding vectors with those magnitudes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook