Major Weapon Advancements Made During World War 2

• Thread starter JerryClower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, World War 2 saw major advancements in weapons technology, including the development of atomic weapons, radar and sonar systems, the first use of jet-powered aircraft, and the widespread use of tanks and other armored vehicles. The war also saw the use of innovative tactics and strategies, such as the development of blitzkrieg warfare and the use of code-breaking machines. These advancements had a significant impact on the outcome of the war and laid the foundation for future developments in military technology.
JerryClower
What were some of the major weapon advancements/inventions during World War 2? I'm looking strictly for weapons that were used on the ground, not in the air or sea.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JerryClower said:
What were some of the major weapon advancements/inventions during World War 2? I'm looking strictly for weapons that were used on the ground, not in the air or sea.

And your thoughts would be what? What is the context of your question? Do you want us to write your term paper for you?

berkeman said:
Do you want us to write your term paper for you?
No. Why would you assume that? I'm just simply asking for weapons that were used during World War 2 that had a big impact on the war. If you don't have any information helpful to the topic, then don't post.

JerryClower said:
No. Why would you assume that? I'm just simply asking for weapons that were used during World War 2 that had a big impact on the war. If you don't have any information helpful to the topic, then don't post.

That's not really the best response. A better response would be "I'm not a student, and I'm asking because of xyz." We often get students asking for us to do their work for them, way too often actually. You don't see it that much in the forums because such requests get deleted generally, and the poster is told to repost in the Homework Help forums and to show their effort and work.

Your original post (OP) could easily have been for homework, and you showed no effort, hence my question. Some clarification from you on your motivation for the question would go a long way towards conforming with the PF rules (the link at the top of the page).

What do YOU think were the the biggest advances? There's the obvious one of course, but a couple other more subtle ones as well.

If it was homework I would have posted it in the homework forum.

JerryClower said:
If it was homework I would have posted it in the homework forum.

Great, thanks for that. But what is the context of your question?

nuclear weapons
rocket technology (from german V rockets)
first generation jet fighters
significant improvements in armored vehicles, mainly tanks
large scale emergence of aircraft carriers
troop carrier landing boats

The Germans (as usual) led the pack in inventiveness, but certainly not in pragmatism. Off the top of my head, I can recall that they rolled out the first assault rifle during the war, the StG44:

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG44]

This is, of course, a very important development. From what I recall, it didn't work that great for the Germans, but the Russians took the design, tweaked it a bit, and made the AK-47-- kind of an important gun! Americans took the concept, if not the design, and started making assault rifles (eventually culminating in the M16), which are pretty standard issue now.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the biggest changes in the way land battles were fought during WWII was the use of radio.

In WWI trench lines along the front were connected to HHQ (higher headquarters) via wires and telegraphy. (Behind the lines HQ were interconnected by telephones.) Once troops went "over the top" in an attack, there could be little or no communication between the troops at the sharp end, and those responsible for planning the battle. There could be millions of casualties between when an attack failed and the survivors straggled back, or were pushed back to the original lines.

In WWII, scouts and reconnaissance patrols could message back information on the location of enemy troops in real time, without having to return to friendly lines. More important, company level commanders could use radios to inform HHQ that the planned attack had failed to survive contact with the enemy--and the generals could either call the attack off and call the troops back, or more usually adjust plans to deal with an enemy unit that wasn't where it was expected to be.

Look at the invasion of Normandy for dozens of examples of this. And a few, like the Falaise Gap, where inability to change a boundary between US and British troops quickly, allowed German troops to escape. I used to have friendly discussions of that particular issue with a US Army Intelligence Major who thought that Montgomery could not have overcome the British doctrine. My feeling was that he should have "stood up" and taken the risk that his troops might have started shooting at American soldiers as the gap closed. In either case, the issue was the "decision loop." Should Montgomery have let Patton move into "British" areas of the battle before Montgomery could get word back from his field commanders about where they were and agreeing to the changes? Patton knew where the British were from US Army AF planes attacking Germans in the gap. But Montgomery did not have access to similar real-time information.

Of course, if Montgomery behaved like Patton, and commanded from the front, he would have known where the front was. ;-) That was not British doctrine at the time, and was not how Americans (or Germans) were taught either at the time. But Guderian and Rommel taught Patton, and he was a very apt pupil. The decision loop that mattered the most was with your armor, and if you were with them, that kept it as short as possible. ;-)

Of course, doing that required radio contact between the general and his headquarters. Staff there could manage all the other details--but getting your armor to where it was needed NOW, was decisive.

1. What were some of the major weapon advancements made during World War 2?

During World War 2, there were several significant weapon advancements made by various countries. Some of the major ones include the development of the atomic bomb, the introduction of jet-powered aircraft, the creation of the first guided missiles, the use of radar technology, and the production of more advanced tanks and artillery.

2. How did the atomic bomb impact the war?

The atomic bomb, which was first used by the United States in 1945, had a significant impact on the war. Its destructive power was unmatched and caused Japan to surrender, effectively ending the war in the Pacific. It also led to the beginning of the nuclear arms race and the Cold War.

3. What role did jet-powered aircraft play in World War 2?

Jet-powered aircraft, such as the German Messerschmitt Me 262 and the British Gloster Meteor, played a crucial role in World War 2. They were faster and more maneuverable than traditional propeller planes, allowing for quicker and more efficient bombing and combat missions. They also paved the way for modern aviation technology.

4. How did radar technology contribute to the war?

Radar technology, which was developed and used by both the Allies and the Axis powers, played a key role in World War 2. It allowed for early detection of enemy planes and ships, giving military forces more time to prepare and respond. It also aided in navigation and helped with bombing accuracy.

5. What were some advancements in naval weapons during World War 2?

There were several major advancements in naval weapons during World War 2. These include the development of aircraft carriers, the use of submarines for strategic attacks, and the creation of more powerful and accurate naval guns. The use of sonar technology also greatly improved the capabilities of naval warfare.