Where did ancient civilizations get their supply of iron?

In summary: I'm glad to see someone else mention it.In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of iron throughout history, from ancient times to modern industry. It is a vital resource for military and industrial purposes and has played a significant role in shaping societies and economies. Additionally, the conversation mentions the development of stainless steel and Damascus steel, as well as recommending books on the history of metallurgy and the Krupp dynasty.
Hornbein
Back in the 19th century British explorers came across Eskimos who were so isolated that they'd forgotten that any other humans existed. Nevertheless they had a little bit of iron that they used to put an edge on their knives. They had no trade so where did they get it?

Fortunately their language was still understandable. They explained that several days' journey away was a big meteorite. They'd go there and chip off some of the iron with a rock.

Explorers in the South Seas found that iron was the most desirable thing there. You could buy a lot with a nail.

In ancient times the military revolved around iron. If you had more iron you could make more weapons and rule. As late as World War One iron mines were important. There were big iron mines near the border of France. Germany wanted the mines so they'd fight for them. To this day German heavy industry is in their far west near the iron mines.

Industry absolutely depends upon steel, the modern version of iron. In eastern Europe steel is "stahl". Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili adopted the much snazzier name of Josef Stalin to cast an image of progress and modernity. It seems to have worked for him.

Iron is still vital but nowadays oil is just as important and harder to get, so oil dominates strategy.

Likes Klystron, hutchphd, Astronuc and 1 other person
Science news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
In ancient times the military revolved around iron.
Yes - that would be Iron Age, which followed the Bronze Age, and certainly iron and steels were used to make tools and weapons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Age

Progress having changed its pace there are no real "ages" any more but can we define an Aluminum age (or moment) ? I am amused that the Washington monument was capped with a nose faring of then-precious aluminum. The Hall process is from the 1880's.
Long ago I smoked (several things). I would sometimes contemplate the marvel that is the Marlboro flip-top box and, in particular, the minutely embossed paper-backed aluminum foil detritis: this devaluation only 75 years post-Hall.
I fervently hope that we scientists have not run out of similar miracles.

Hornbein said:
In ancient times the military revolved around iron. If you had more iron you could make more weapons and rule. As late as World War One iron mines were important. There were big iron mines near the border of France. Germany wanted the mines so they'd fight for them. To this day German heavy industry is in their far west near the iron mines.
The OP may be interested in history book "The Arms of Krupp" by William Manchester. This highly readable book describes progress in large steel weapons smelted primarily from minerals mined in the Ruhr Valley in what is now modern Germany. I read this history as a child from my mother's collection. The Amazon entry appears to be a later edition.

Manchester leavens the rather grim story of the Krupp dynasty with amusing anecdotes such as the ultra-wealthy Krupp-by-marriage who maintained quarters above the family horse stables in order to enjoy the supposedly salubrious smells of fresh animal dung.

• Informative
Likes diogenesNY, Astronuc, berkeman and 1 other person
Likes Frabjous
Klystron said:

I second this recommendation. I read this book 2 or 3 times, first in 7th grade. As mentioned, very readable and interesting. It does spend a good bit on the WWII part of the story, understandable for someone of Manchester's age and background.

Likes Klystron and Astronuc

1. Where did ancient civilizations first discover iron?

Ancient civilizations first discovered iron around 1200 BCE in the Middle East, specifically in the region of Anatolia (modern-day Turkey). This discovery was made by the Hittites, who began using iron in their weapons and tools.

2. How did ancient civilizations extract iron from its ore?

Ancient civilizations used a process called smelting to extract iron from its ore. This involved heating iron ore with charcoal in a furnace, which produced a molten iron mixture that was then poured into molds to create various objects.

3. Did ancient civilizations trade for iron with other civilizations?

Yes, ancient civilizations did trade for iron with other civilizations. The Hittites, for example, were known for their extensive trade networks and were able to obtain iron from regions such as Cyprus and the Caucasus.

4. How did the supply of iron impact ancient civilizations?

The supply of iron greatly impacted ancient civilizations, as it allowed for the development of more advanced tools and weapons. This gave civilizations a competitive advantage in warfare and also allowed for more efficient farming and construction techniques.

5. What other materials were used alongside iron in ancient civilizations?

Ancient civilizations often used other materials alongside iron, such as bronze and copper. These materials were used to create alloys, which were stronger and more durable than pure iron. The use of these alloys also played a significant role in the development of ancient civilizations.