• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Programs Majoring in Physics; deciding on minor?

I am completing my second year as a physics major. I now have to decide between pursuing the BS or BA track. I don't see myself getting a PhD in physics so I was thinking of getting the BA in Physics. After graduation I think that I would like to work in the practical aspects of physics, hands on but not sure doing what. With the BA I know I can fit in a minor concentration. My college offers only bio-engineering and electrical engineering to non-engineering majors, so I was thinking of minoring in electrical engineering. Would I be pigeon holing myself to an electrical engineering career? The thought was to get a background in some type of engineering. The other options that I'm considering are math, statistics or business (although our business school requires a lot!). Any other ideas or help would be appreciated.

donpacino

Gold Member
I am completing my second year as a physics major. I now have to decide between pursuing the BS or BA track. I don't see myself getting a PhD in physics so I was thinking of getting the BA in Physics. After graduation I think that I would like to work in the practical aspects of physics, hands on but not sure doing what. With the BA I know I can fit in a minor concentration. My college offers only bio-engineering and electrical engineering to non-engineering majors, so I was thinking of minoring in electrical engineering. Would I be pigeon holing myself to an electrical engineering career? The thought was to get a background in some type of engineering. The other options that I'm considering are math, statistics or business (although our business school requires a lot!). Any other ideas or help would be appreciated.
All a minor does is set a list of electives to give you additional study in one area. You can 'make your own minor' by picking electives that you want to take. If you choose this route be sure to talk to an advisor to be sure you don't miss key subject matter