Majoring in Physics; deciding on minor?

In summary, the speaker is a second-year physics major considering whether to pursue a BS or BA track. They do not plan on getting a PhD in physics and are interested in working in practical aspects of physics after graduation. They are considering minoring in electrical engineering, but are unsure if this will limit their career options. They are also considering other minors such as math, statistics, or business. The idea of creating their own minor by choosing elective courses is also mentioned.
Mrod
I am completing my second year as a physics major. I now have to decide between pursuing the BS or BA track. I don't see myself getting a PhD in physics so I was thinking of getting the BA in Physics. After graduation I think that I would like to work in the practical aspects of physics, hands on but not sure doing what. With the BA I know I can fit in a minor concentration. My college offers only bio-engineering and electrical engineering to non-engineering majors, so I was thinking of minoring in electrical engineering. Would I be pigeon holing myself to an electrical engineering career? The thought was to get a background in some type of engineering. The other options that I'm considering are math, statistics or business (although our business school requires a lot!). Any other ideas or help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mrod said:
Would I be pigeon holing myself to an electrical engineering career?
No. Pick a subject you enjoy the most. A minor can help, but is not that important.

Mrod said:
I am completing my second year as a physics major. I now have to decide between pursuing the BS or BA track. I don't see myself getting a PhD in physics so I was thinking of getting the BA in Physics. After graduation I think that I would like to work in the practical aspects of physics, hands on but not sure doing what. With the BA I know I can fit in a minor concentration. My college offers only bio-engineering and electrical engineering to non-engineering majors, so I was thinking of minoring in electrical engineering. Would I be pigeon holing myself to an electrical engineering career? The thought was to get a background in some type of engineering. The other options that I'm considering are math, statistics or business (although our business school requires a lot!). Any other ideas or help would be appreciated.
All a minor does is set a list of electives to give you additional study in one area. You can 'make your own minor' by picking electives that you want to take. If you choose this route be sure to talk to an advisor to be sure you don't miss key subject matter

What is a major in Physics and how do I decide on a minor?

A major in Physics is a degree program that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. A minor is a secondary area of study that complements your major and allows you to gain knowledge and skills in a different field. Deciding on a minor depends on your interests, career goals, and the requirements of your university.

What are the benefits of majoring in Physics?

Majoring in Physics can provide you with a strong foundation in scientific and mathematical principles, which are highly valued in many industries. It also opens up opportunities for careers in research, teaching, engineering, and many other fields. Additionally, studying Physics can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are transferable to various professions.

What are some popular minors to pair with a major in Physics?

Some popular minors to pair with a major in Physics include Mathematics, Astronomy, Computer Science, Engineering, and Materials Science. These minors complement the skills and knowledge gained from studying Physics and can lead to diverse career options.

Is it necessary to have a minor when majoring in Physics?

No, it is not necessary to have a minor when majoring in Physics. However, having a minor can enhance your academic experience, provide a broader skillset, and make you a more competitive candidate for jobs or graduate school.

Can I change my minor or add a minor later on?

Yes, you can change your minor or add a minor later on in your academic career. It is always a good idea to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that the courses you take fulfill the requirements for your major and minor. Keep in mind that changing or adding a minor may require you to take additional courses and extend your graduation timeline.