1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Majoring in Physics or Engineering can prepare you in both subjects?

1. Apr 3, 2017 #1
    I'm currently in community college and will be applying next semester for transfer. The problem is, I'm not entirely sure if I'd like to major in physics or engineering. I have an interest in space science but have difficulty knowing if I'd like something more applied or theoretical. I've heard that it's difficult to switch your major once you have already transferred, so my question for you all is the following. Will a major in Engineering Physics prepare you for graduate school in either sector? Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2017 #2
    Many physicists find careers in engineering (which is applied physics), but fewer engineers find careers in pure physics. I would urge the OP to make up his mind and go toward the one really preferred. Get as much information as possible about career options, and make an informed decision.

4. Apr 4, 2017 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree you need to make up your mind : physics or engineering. I don't recommend engineering physics if you want to go to grad school in physics or engineering. And if you decide to find a job right after undergrad school in engineering , a physics degree or engineering physics degree will put you at a disadvantage versus students seeking engineering employment with a degree in an engineering discipline like civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical, aeronautical , etc, engineering ( unless perhaps you are interested in research).

5. Apr 5, 2017 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Back up a bit. I thought this is a question between "physics" and "engineering"? Yet, here, you are bringing up "applied" versus "theoretical".

So which is it? And please don't tell me that you think physics is all "theoretical".

Zz.

6. Apr 13, 2017 #5
    All I'm saying is that I'm undecided on whether I'd like to do theoretical space research or work on space technology which tends to be more applied. I'm thinking that's more in the realm of aerospace (mechanical) engineering. My question is simply whether physics engineering would be a good landing spot until I figure out what I want to do. No need for the uppity attitude, we are all here to help each other :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted