Make a part from and existing part

• Thread starter Wanderzz
  • Start date
In summary, you would need to make a cast of the part, build a wooden mold around it, and then use fiberglass to wrap the carbon fibre around the mold. There is no flex, but you will damage the original bumper.
Wanderzz
I have an interest in learning about taking existing automobile components and turning them into parts made from composites. I am unsure where to start with this specific process. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wanderzz, Welcome to Physics Forums!

I don't understand what you have asked. If I hand you a component, a car's wheel, for example, how could you turn that into a composite? It is made of steel...are you suggesting some kind of transformation from one material to a different one?

Sorry about that. I will be specific. If I have a sheet metal fender for example, or a typical plastic bumper cover, and wanted to duplicate it by making a carbon fiber version of it, what is the process to do this? How do I create a perfect mold of the existing part so that it will have the same fit as the original?

You need to make a cast from fiber glass, then build a wooden structure around the cast.

You then have a mold which you can wrap the carbon fibre weave around, and use over and over again :)

Ah I see. I would imagine though that when you remove a part, say a fender, there is going to be some flex, and that would lead to a distorted mold.

Do you know of any good books on the subject?

Wanderzz said:
Ah I see. I would imagine though that when you remove a part, say a fender, there is going to be some flex, and that would lead to a distorted mold.

Do you know of any good books on the subject?

I don't know of any books, but this is how most body kits are replicated. Any good body work technician can do this.

Carbon fibre weave is mighty expensive though!

And there is no flex, but you will damage the original bumper, you will most probably use screws to bond the wood etc to the fibre glass of bumper #1.

I worked as a fiberglass tech for a bit. You could easily make a mold from an exisitng part by laying over it with fiberglass. You could do it in a way as to not damage the structure, the paint would more then likey be messed up due to the heat generated in the curing process. But even with just a shell youd still have to add the mounting points and such so that you could attacth it to the car. This would most likley be the hardest part.

How would you create the same edges? Once you lay fiberglass around the edge the part is trapped at that point.

You would not be able to wrap it around a tight bend, say like a pinch bend on a fender. All the molds we used at work either broke down in parts or they were able to just pop out. I can't see where on a fender or anything that the mold would get trapped in the work piece.

I suggest looking into a product called "Partall Paste" and "Partall Film" the paste is like a wax you uses to buff the surface and the film is a liquid that you apply and let dry to assit in mold removal, without these you will destroy whatever mold your using.

What is the process for making a part from an existing part?

The process for making a part from an existing part is called reverse engineering. This involves taking an existing part and breaking it down into its individual components in order to understand its design and manufacturing process. From there, a new part can be created using the same or similar materials and processes.

What is the purpose of making a part from an existing part?

The purpose of making a part from an existing part is to recreate a specific component that may no longer be available or to improve upon an existing design. It can also be used to create replacement parts for machines or equipment that are no longer in production.

What are the challenges of making a part from an existing part?

The main challenges of making a part from an existing part include obtaining accurate measurements and understanding the materials and processes used in the original part. It can also be difficult to replicate the exact design and function of the original part without access to the original specifications or blueprints.

What are the benefits of making a part from an existing part?

The benefits of making a part from an existing part include cost savings, as it eliminates the need for designing and testing a new part from scratch. It also allows for the recreation of specific parts that may no longer be available, extending the lifespan of equipment or machinery.

What are the industries that commonly use the process of making a part from an existing part?

The process of making a part from an existing part is commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, aerospace, automotive, and electronics. It can also be utilized in the repair and maintenance of various equipment and machinery.