Make a very simple mechanical time delay?

In summary, the goal is to make a small, cheap mechanical time delay that needs to go in quickly and come out slowly. The design is still in progress, but a dashpot may be a good option.
supak111
Hey everyone, I need to make or design a simple mechanical time delay. This probably isn't easy since I can't find anything on the market that's small and cheap. Was thinking some wind up toy might work, haven't found the right one yet.

I was thinking maybe small box with a rod coming out of it (but open to ideas). If you push the rod all the way in it should take time for it to come out, maybe 2-5 minutes.

HOPING TO ACHEAVE:
~ Cheap under $3 but hopefully cheaper.
~ Small (hopefully smaller than a pack of cigarettes)
~ Needs to go in fast so no mechanical gearing on the way in.
~ Comes back out very slow 2-5 mins.
~ Needs to be able to push 1lb (maybe less not sure at the moment)

Does anyone have any ideas?

PS even a battery powered one would be ok if cheap. Haven't found anything similar already manufactured still.

Engineering news on Phys.org
supak111 said:
Hey everyone, I need to make or design a simple mechanical time delay. This probably isn't easy since I can't find anything on the market that's small and cheap. Was thinking some wind up toy might work, haven't found the right one yet.

I was thinking maybe small box with a rod coming out of it (but open to ideas). If you push the rod all the way in it should take time for it to come out, maybe 2-5 minutes.

HOPING TO ACHEAVE:
~ Cheap under $3 but hopefully cheaper.
~ Small (hopefully smaller than a pack of cigarettes)
~ Needs to go in fast so no mechanical gearing on the way in.
~ Comes back out very slow 2-5 mins.
~ Needs to be able to push 1lb (maybe less not sure at the moment)

Does anyone have any ideas?

PS even a battery powered one would be ok if cheap. Haven't found anything similar already manufactured still.

Can you sam more about the application? Is the 1lb load on low-friction rollers, or do you need 1lb-f applied through the whole movement of the arm? How far do you need to push the load?

You could start with a basic egg timer and adapt it maybe...

https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.ne...g_timer.png/revision/latest?cb=20110402182025
latest?cb=20110402182025.png

A dashpot?

Asymptotic said:
A dashpot?
Interesting idea. Like with a weight to drive it?

berkeman said:
Interesting idea. Like with a weight to drive it?
Not necessarily, but not a bad thought, either. Dashpots come in a wide variety of types and ratings, for example, an air dashpot like those used in automotive carburetors may not provide 1 lb of force, but one based on hydraulics ought to. Outside of carbs, the only hands-on experience I have with them are old-fashioned pneumatic timer relays like the Allen-Bradley bulletin 700-NT, but (although the under $3 criteria may not be obtainable) I bet Google would turn up something to fit the bill.

Likes berkeman
Thanks for your replies guys.

Dashpot sounds like a perfect idea especially since I won't have to modify it much. What makes the dashpot cool is most have adjustable timing like the dashpots on your house screen doors. Clock timer is a good one too if I can modify it to fit.

And the 1lb of push force might be over kill, I was just roughly estimating here. I'm going to do some searching and see if I can find a dashpot that's pretty cheap and small hopefully adjustable timing too.

Likes berkeman
supak111 said:
searching and see if I can find a dashpot that's pretty cheap and small
Not adjustable, but a hypodermic syringe meets the other qualifications. It does have a bit of static friction though.

1. How does a mechanical time delay work?

A mechanical time delay works by using a mechanical mechanism, such as a spring or a pendulum, to create a delay in the movement of a lever or switch. This delay can be adjusted by changing the tension or length of the mechanism, and is commonly used in devices such as egg timers or mechanical clocks.

2. What are the benefits of using a mechanical time delay over an electronic one?

One of the main benefits of using a mechanical time delay is its simplicity. It does not require any external power source and can be easily adjusted without the need for specialized equipment. It is also less prone to malfunctions and can withstand harsh environments.

3. How accurate is a mechanical time delay?

The accuracy of a mechanical time delay depends on the quality of its components and how well it is maintained. However, in general, it is less accurate than electronic time delays and can have variations of a few seconds to a few minutes.

4. Can a mechanical time delay be used for precise timing?

While a mechanical time delay may not be as precise as an electronic one, it can still be used for relatively precise timing in applications where a few seconds or minutes of delay is acceptable. However, for more precise timing, an electronic time delay would be a better option.

5. What are some common applications of a mechanical time delay?

A mechanical time delay can be used in a variety of applications, such as in kitchen timers, automatic pet feeders, and irrigation systems. It is also commonly used in industrial machinery, such as conveyor belts, to create a delay between processes.