Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding time delay estimation for GPS?

1. Mar 14, 2017 #1
    I really need help to understand these questions which is highlight, for the GPS situation, I hope anyone who has been working in this situation before, please help me to have a clear understanding about "time delay estimation":

Here is the scenario:

1. Suppose I know precisely I have transmit the signal (data), I know the sampling, I know the time correspond to the very 1st point, I can go through the sign the time every single measurement, that I just transmitted. Now, I received the signal (data), I have section of data and in there somewhere is the signal that transmitted. Unlike, as the transmit, I know the time correspond to the very 1st point in my receive data:
    what would I do to get the time delay?
    what steps do we follow?

In there, somewhere, I don’t know where exactly, but in there somewhere is transmitted the signal and I want to estimate time delay between the transmit and receive. So, I want to look at:
    what you need to do that?
    What math. operation do I need to use to compute that time delay?

3.If I say:"I want to compute xcorr between 2 vectors". So, this xcorr is twice sum of the length – 1:
    what do I do when I have xcorr output?

4.I take 2 vectors, and I compute even longer vector use xcorr, so now I compute the longer vector but I want a number, I don’t want a vector, I want a time delay estimation:
    what do I do with the xcorr solved like a MATLAB?

5.If I say xcorr(x,y), x has certain length and y has certain length, the result is the length of x plus length of y and minus 1. So, now I have a long vector:
    what do I do then to determine the time delay?
    what the signal look like and what xcorr look like?
    what do I do when I have xcorr to determine the time delay?

6.I know that have xcorr with bunch of complex number but I need only one real number. The real number that I want is the time delay. I take input data, I take received signal, I compute xcorr, then I do something to help myself to get the time delay. Result to that is single real number. But these are general ideas, I need to answer those question.

7.I have read this link: http://dsp.stackexchange.com/questi...-oscilloscope-signals-using-cross-correlation . It's really help my understanding, but they way he answered very high level, I think I need to understand the basic first, then continue with this link.

Please help me for these questions.

Thank you very much, everyone

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2017 #2
    Hi Nate Duong:

I am not sure I understood all of your questions, but I think the following might be helpful.
    There is a lot of information there that seems to be related to your questions.

Regards,
    Buzz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted