1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a collection of sets as a group

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    Any example of making a collection of sets as a group?

Let's say, we have a collection of sets, called H. Each element of H is a set, and it works as a group element. So we have a group H whose elements correspond to sets.
    The group can be constructed easily for some trivial cases.

For instance, H = {...,{-3}, {-2}, {-1}, {0}, {1}, {2}, {3},,,}, where H consists of single-element sets and each {x} corresponds to an integer x∈Z.

addition : {a} + {b} = {c} (a,b,c ∈ Z}
    identity : {0}
    inverse of {a} = {-a}

When I tried to make a collection of different size of sets, I couldn't figure out how to define multiplication (or addition), identity and inverse on sets for group operations.

Any advice or example?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try using symmetric difference. You may have to designate an element of H to act like the empty set.

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot. It is a good example for me.
    Now I have a further question.

Is there any case for above H to be both topology and group?
    For example, we have a collection of sets, called H. Let H be a topology on an arbitrary set X and suppose we define a group operation on H such that each open set except H itself (since a group does not have an element of itself) corresponds to each group element.

Is it possible to define H like above or similar way such that H to be both a topology and group? If possible, any example for this?

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, yeah, I guess H can be a topology. But of course it doesn't have to be.

As an example, take any (nonempty) set X. Let H be the set of all subsets of X. H is a topology on X (the discrete topology). And we can turn it into a group.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?