Making a Loud Whistle: Universal Across Cultures?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the production and use of loud whistles can be found in cultures around the world, indicating that it is a universal practice. This is likely due to the practicality and versatility of whistles, which have been used for communication, signaling, and music-making throughout history. However, the specific designs, materials, and purposes of whistles may vary across cultures, suggesting that while the concept of a loud whistle is universal, its execution and significance may differ.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
As portrayed in USA movies, I've often seen an actor hold his fingers to the edge of his mouth and make a loud whistle. I've only seen one or two people who could do this in person. (A sound effects technician could supply the whistle for a film.) I don't think of this as common scene in foreign films. Is this type of whistling (or it's portrayal in films) universal across cultures?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can whistle on two fingers so loud my ears start to ring, so at least in Poland it is a known art :wink:

• Haha
Likes DennisN, russ_watters, mcastillo356 and 2 others
Borek said:
I can whistle on two fingers so loud my ears start to ring, so at least in Poland it is a known art :wink:
In Germany as well, although I never learned it properly.

I had a couple of friends in Canada who could do it, one too well (my ears might still be ringing to this day...). I have also seen two ways of doing it. The first involved using the index and middle fingers of both hands, forming a V coming out of the mouth, the other using the index and thumb of a single hand to form a C.

fresh_42 said:
In Germany as well, although I never learned it properly.
Me too, unfortunately :frown:

Edit: Obviously, nowadays everything is on YouTube

Likes Stephen Tashi
I have a vivid memory from childhood (60 years ago in the Midwest USA) assiduously learning to do the whistle. Seems I thought it would be good to make that much noise in an emergency...it is occasionally very useful, especially on the water. I am an ambi- and bi- dextrous whistler. There... I just scared the cat...

hutchphd said:
it is occasionally very useful, especially on the water. I am an ambi- and bi- dextrous whistler.
So you are an amphibidextrous whistler? :wink:

Likes PeroK and Ibix
Actually the the two handed version is louder so that is exactly so.

Stephen Tashi said:
As portrayed in USA movies, I've often seen an actor hold his fingers to the edge of his mouth and make a loud whistle. I've only seen one or two people who could do this in person. (A sound effects technician could supply the whistle for a film.) I don't think of this as common scene in foreign films. Is this type of whistling (or it's portrayal in films) universal across cultures?
Well, "Steve", you need a lesson from Lauren Bacall:

Likes hutchphd
Its even better when you help...best line in any movie ever.

Lol. . . I can still do this one. . :rolleyes:

In fact, when I was a kid, I practiced this technique so much. . . I had this same

issue. . :DD

2 years ago in the comments section - AutoFire said:
I feel dizzy

Last edited:
DrClaude said:
Edit: Obviously, nowadays everything is on YouTube
Interesting. . . I've never seen that before ? . 🤔

1598059743613.png

I eventually learned to use the two-fingers in the mouth method and became good at it, but I seem to have lost the ability. I have been able to use something like the method shown in post #11 from much sooner and still can do it well today. I would not doubt that both kinds of methods have crossed cultures.

My wife can do it.
She has been known to stun me and drop me in my tracks.

I'd say she can hit at least 110db.

Yes, we used to catch each other's attention like that playing some sports as kids: soccer/basketball.I can still do it, if need be. When I was teaching in high school, I used to whistle like that to kill the chatter. I whistle more with my lips, though, when I'm whistling along a tune I'm listening to or some such.

I use the thumb + index variation.

DrClaude said:
I have also seen two ways of doing it. The first involved using the index and middle fingers of both hands, forming a V coming out of the mouth, the other using the index and thumb of a single hand to form a C.

Add a third one that involves just a pinky.

There is also a fourth method (although I am not sure if it counts as the same whistle) that uses just a tongue. Matter of forming it in a correct V shape, tried to learned it as a teenager, but miserable failed. For some reason it is connected here with pigeonkeepers - in older Polish books when you see a passage "he whistled like a pigeonkeeper" it would mean just that.

What the guy on the OCR's video does is a different sound and technique (we called it "making an owl").

OCR said:
Interesting. . . I've never seen that before ? . 🤔

View attachment 268113
It's not the first time I have seen that. I don't know the reason why some youtubers disallow embedding.

OCR, about post #12
Could you post the address of the video you try to "show" in post #12? Channel name and video title?

symbolipoint said:
OCR, about post #12
Could you post the address of the video you try to "show" in post #12? Channel name and video title?

t3ttreU6ugk (youtube id, put it after ?v=)

symbolipoint said:
OCR, about post #12
It's not a video, it is a picture of what @OCR saw after clicking the video in post #5.

I can do it too. I just tried to see how loud it got. It made my cat jump up quickly from her resting position. :biggrin:

There's another fun thing you can do out in nature:

You can take a thin long leaf, like a wide grass leaf, and put it between/along your thumbs and stretch it to keep it as rigid as possible. If you then blow between the thumbs, it can make a very loud, screechy and annoying sound, which likely confuses nearby wildlife. :smile:

DennisN said:
There's another fun thing you can do out in nature:
The two-finger whistle is something I do out in the wilderness to let bears know that I'm around or to stay in touch with a fellow hiker who's out of sight.

I've been on hikes in areas where there are multiple elk paths, some of which are often blocked by fallen trees that are too large in diameter to climb over. In broad river bottoms like this with several trails, a buddy and I will fan out, so we can keep from getting too far separated by loud whistling.

Likes DennisN
symbolipoint said:
OCR, about post #12
Borek said:
t3ttreU6ugk (youtube id, put it after ?v=)
Thanks Borek. I figured out what to do BASED ON what you explained.

The misicgeniuses channel on YouTube. Something he did not describe is that you can unfold the outer-wrapped fingers to change the pitch.

I am not sure of the "embed" choice in the share feature, but what happens if someone clicks "share" and tries to copy the link address?

pasting that here:
which is the address aech tee tee pee es, colon double slash youtu [dot] be slash t3ttreU6ugk, all without spaces.

I could post the link, but wasn't sure it won't get modified/analyzed by forum software, these "smart" solutions can be PITA.

1. How does a loud whistle work?

A loud whistle works by forcing air through a narrow opening, which creates a high-pitched and loud sound. It is similar to blowing air through a straw, but with a smaller and more precise opening.

2. Is making a loud whistle a universal skill?

Yes, making a loud whistle is a universal skill that has been passed down through generations in various cultures. It is a basic survival technique that can be used to signal for help or communicate over long distances.

3. What materials can be used to make a loud whistle?

The most common materials used to make a loud whistle are wood, bone, and reeds. However, any material that can be shaped into a narrow opening and can withstand air blowing through it can be used to make a loud whistle.

4. Are there any techniques to make a louder whistle?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can help make a louder whistle. These include using a smaller and more precise opening, shaping the whistle to create a resonant chamber, and using different levels of air pressure.

5. Can anyone learn to make a loud whistle?

Yes, with practice and patience, anyone can learn to make a loud whistle. It may take some time to perfect the technique, but with determination, anyone can master the skill of making a loud whistle.