Making a piecewise function continuous everywhere

In summary, the conversation is about finding the values of p, q, and r for a piecewise function to be continuous everywhere and for f(2) to be equal to p. The incorrect question does not cover the case where x = 0, and there may be a typo in the given answer for q. The correct values for p and r are 4 and 1/2 respectively, but there is no value for q less than 2 that would make the function continuous at x = q.
ninty45

Homework Statement

Given the piecewise function

[itex]
f(x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{lr}
\frac{(2-x)^2-p}{x} &: x < q\\
r(x+6) &: q \leq x <2 \\
x^3-p &: x \geq 2
\end{array}
\right.
[/itex]

Find the values of p,q,r such that f(x) is continuous everywhere and f(2) = p

The Attempt at a Solution

Since f(2) = p,
[itex]
f(2) = (2)^3 - p = p\\
8-p=p\\
p=4
[/itex]

If f(x) is continuous everywhere, then

[itex]
\lim_{x \to 2} f(x) = f(2)
[/itex]

But f(2)=p, and r(x+6) is always smooth, hence

[itex]
r(2+6) = 4 \\
r = \frac{1}{4}
[/itex]

My difficulty is with q. Again from (assumed) continuity, at x=q,

[itex]
\lim_{x \to q} f(x) = f(q) \\
\lim_{x \to q} \frac{(2-x)^2-4}{x} = \frac{1}{2}(q+6) \\
\lim_{x \to q} x-4 = \frac{1}{2}(q+6) \\
2q-8 = q+6 \\
q=14
[/itex]

but from the original function, q <2. The answer given is supposedly q=0, but I do not see then how the function could be continuous.

Are my calculations wrong? I tried assuming that q =0, hence instead of factorising the limit I used l'hopital but no dice.

I am including the original picture as a comparison.
Question.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
ninty45 said:
[itex]
r(2+6) = 4 \\
r = \frac{1}{4}
[/itex]

There's a bit of a error there, I'm sorry to say.

My mistake. I wrote that incorrectly, it should be [itex] r=\frac{1}{2}[/itex].

However in the following working, I indeed used [itex] r=\frac{1}{2}[/itex].

You are correct. In order that f(2)= 2, p must be 4 and in order that the function be continuous at x= 2, r must be 1/2 (you say "1/4" but I presume that is a typo since you later use "1/2"). But in that case, there is NO value of q, less than 2, such that [itex][(2- q)^2- 4]/q[/itex] is equal to (1/2)(q+ 6) so there is no value of q, less than 2, such that f(x) is continuous at x= q.

Last edited by a moderator:
ninty45 said:
My mistake. I wrote that incorrectly, it should be [itex] r=\frac{1}{2}[/itex].

However in the following working, I indeed used [itex] r=\frac{1}{2}[/itex].

The question looks wrong. Also, it doesn't cover the case where x = 0, so I assume there is a typo somewhere.

Thanks for the replies. I'll just chalk this one up as one of those incorrect questions.

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by different equations for different parts of its domain. This means that the function's definition changes depending on which part of the domain the input falls into.

2. Why is it important to make a piecewise function continuous everywhere?

Making a piecewise function continuous everywhere ensures that there are no gaps or discontinuities in the function's graph. This is important because it allows us to accurately model real-world situations and make predictions based on the function's behavior.

3. How do you make a piecewise function continuous everywhere?

To make a piecewise function continuous everywhere, you need to ensure that the different pieces of the function are connected smoothly at the points where they meet. This can be done by using limits, algebraic manipulations, or piecewise-defined functions.

4. Can all piecewise functions be made continuous everywhere?

No, not all piecewise functions can be made continuous everywhere. Some functions have points where they are inherently discontinuous, such as vertical asymptotes or points where the function is undefined. In these cases, the function cannot be made continuous everywhere.

5. What are some real-world applications of piecewise functions?

Piecewise functions are commonly used in economics, physics, and engineering to model situations where different equations are applicable in different scenarios. They can be used to model population growth, consumer demand, and the motion of objects subject to different forces, among other things.